srPET - Has Anyone Used This?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by CatBuilder, Jul 28, 2009.

1. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Has anyone used srPET as a hull material?

[​IMG]

It's from Denmark.

Does anyone know its cost as compared to fiberglass or epoxy over ply?

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Made by Aptiform, if I'm not mistaken?
    ( http://www.aptiform.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=1&tabid=459 )
    Strength/weight and stiffness/weight seem to be in about the same ballpark as more conventional FRP composites. It looks like the moulding procedure can be rather involved; the manufacturer suggests that it could be used for PWCs. That seems like it could be reasonable; the tooling costs for these can be spread out over thousands of hulls. Whether it would be economical for shorter runs of larger parts would be an interesting thing to study.

3. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

It is interesting, and I know they used it on Plastiki to support all the 2 liter bottles, so I was wondering how it would fare as a hull material in general. Yes, it's made by Aptiform.

4. srPET_maker

srPET_maker New Member

5. momentumv

momentumv New Member

The Plastiki actually used the srPET for the structural cross-beams, decking, cabin, and most of the hull.

It seems though that they had some difficulties with high temperatures (39 C) softening a few of the brackets, and that even in the best of situations the catamaran was not very stiff. (besides being nearly impossible to steer, lacking daggerboards)

Obviously, if the hull was not designed to have solid hulls (instead of a skeleton filled in with bottles, the result would be somewhat stiffer, especially if you had a metal frame to link the hulls.

The original question was about cost comparison, though. Unfortunately I don't know.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.