dry bond problem with coosa/epoxy?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Bentwood, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Bentwood

Bentwood Bentwood

I am using 3/4" coosa bluewater 26 for the sole of my sailboat. I coated the first sheet with 6 oz glass and wet it out with epoxy, like I have done in the past for plywood. The fabric seemed to wet out and bond well. After the epoxy cured, I was cutting out some parts and noticed that I could peel the fiberglass off the coosa by hand. The epoxy was dry, not sticky, and the fabric well saturated.
    1. Is this a "dry bond" caused by epoxy being drawn into the substrate?
    2. Should I pretreat the coosa board with a epoxy/filler to prevent wicking?
    3. Is it really necessary/desiratble to coat both surfaces with 6 oz glass prior to bonding to the hull?
    Thanks for your help.

2. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

when the make coosa board they use a release agent to release the board from the mould , what you should do is rough up the surface so the resin will stick if you dont the coosa will act like a mould