Dropdown Longshaft for Wharram Catamaran

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by Chris Bretter, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Hi Chris
    welcome to BD.net

why Wharram ??????

i have done plenty homework - and there are MANY better options

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Manie ,---Oh brother do I agree with you.

I have known two friends with Wharrams and both boats have been lost on the beach. Rotted out and or broken up in a bit of surf.

I think the bit of string that hold them together come loose.

3. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

It may sound a bit over the top

BUT why build a wharram when you can get them for virtually free - a dime a dozen

here is one at the Vaaldam in exelent condition :D

Chris - seriously look at Easy Cats if you want to build - and there are many more that are quality cats that could be built well on a strict budget

Wharram's are really for aging hippy dreamers - dont go there :D

with global warming the way its going now - only a solid dodger will do - biminis let too much sun thru -
    the era of the "centre cockpit" and/or enclosed wheelhouse is well and truly on us for cruising :D

Attached Files:

• 33.jpg
      33.jpg
      File size:
      510.8 KB
      Views:
    • 34.jpg
      34.jpg
      File size:
      588.4 KB
      Views:
  4. Chris Bretter

Chris Bretter Zaphod

well its too late now .You makes your choices and then u gotta finish it.Thanks for the input i will use good string and stay away from bitches sorry beaches

5. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Now, now ...Frosty .....Wharrams don`t fall apart that easy actually...IF Maintained.

Having said that , I do agree there are many better choices out there.

Regards , B F.

6. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

What`s wrong with aging hippy dreamers Manie?:D

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Boat fan , can you change your Avatar, it frightens the life out of me --its real creepy weird. You to Manie ---creepy stuff.

8. Chris Bretter

Chris Bretter Zaphod

Well it seemed like a good idea at the time.Only time will tell now.I have a few friends with Wharrams and im wondering if i should delete them off my xmas list.Too late will have to see it through.I havent seen many Tiki 38s for sale a few on multihull thats about it.thanks for your help thusfar if you have any ideas about a motor ,trans or drive drop me a line.

9. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

You must frighten easily Frosty...:D

Have you actually looked at yours lately ? :)

10. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

longtail on a 50

Hello

I have a friend who has a 50ft Wharram that he loves. He drives it with a longtail. The water is picked up in the hulls which is a fine method. The weight of the engine is on the middle - good for pitching, the engine is very easy to work on and very easy to use for watermaking etc. If he wants he can make the prop go deeper in the water to stop it ventilating in rough conditions.

A guy on the lake here has a Fitzgibbon with a longtail. He loves it - big three bladed prop for motoring and out of the water for sailing. The whole assembly rotates to get the prop in the water. He has a pushrod to hold the thing down in reverse.

As to the Wharram's merits - Wharrams make great boats. A dodger or bimini will almost certainly be added by you but the Tikis I have seen have sailed well.

I met a couple of guys who each had a 31 and they did get a little exposed. One sold the Wharram and got a tri the other is probably half way around the world. Build some sun and wind protection and have fun.

cheers

Phil Thompson

1 person likes this.
  11. Chris Bretter

Chris Bretter Zaphod

Hi Phil Thanks for the reply does the guy with the long shaft have a E-Mail i would like to get a picture of his system

12. Chris Bretter

Chris Bretter Zaphod

Hi Phil we are modifying the deck pod to be a little larger with a bimini and a lot of shaded areas.Seemed like a good boat to me.There are a lot of horror stories with old boats not only Wharrams,Im happy with my Choice.Just want a nice diesel longshaft.People have been very helpful.Regards Chris

13. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Chris how far are you?

post some pics - would be nice :D :idea:

14. Chris Bretter

Chris Bretter Zaphod

Hi Manie We are starting in January 2009. Just got the plans 2 weeks ago (R22750.00)A friend of mine has built 5 Tiki 38s this will be no 6.I am plan 118.Should be an interesting project he will allow me to assist with the minor work and the motor/s which is more up my street.I am a diesel Mac by trade but have been customising and selling bikes.I can weld Tig,arc,gas operate mill,lathe have built bike frames,tanks etc first big project in wood tho.Need to do somthing different.

15. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Chris best of luck - all should be ok :D
    its frightening to see what plans cost with our poor exchange rate

however please keep us posted - i am very busy with all my "experiments" and so is Wynand - Fanie and Butch

we could probably save you a bundle on materials and extras

i am going to see Butch in Pietermaritzburg now during the holidays - maybe we can join for a beer :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.