aluminum jet boat designs

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Big-A, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Big-A

Big-A Junior Member

hi this is big-a from bc canada. im looking at making a jet boat but would care to make one out of aluminum. im a welding/fabricator in the yacht business and would like to construct a boat. i want to make one between 17-19 feet and have nice lines like some of the figerglass boats out there. does anyone know of a company that has plan i could look at ? im haveing a hard time over the last several months tracking someone or company that does. thanks

2. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

I'm working on something right now just like you're describing. It'll take a few months to get the lines like I like them. In the meantime check out www.metalboatkits.com, check out marathon marine, silverstreak boats, coastal craft boats..........ever hear of a guy named Mike Carlson?

3. Big-A

Big-A Junior Member

ya no good i was looking a glen l marine boat (rampage 18) but the prints are for wood and he doesnt have notes on where to make the proper placements of the stiffners for aluminum. no does he have anything on auto cad for this so my arc at my yacht place could make something up

its getting me very upset nobody has any nice rounded horny lines on an aluminum boat and so my quest is to be somebody that does

any other help would be greaty valued.
    if anyone out there on this site has a boat that they have made in the 18-22 foot range and would be sutible for alum construction let me know. i plan to use it in the river doing long trips 3-6 hours of boating a day so i want it to be soft riding room for 4-6 comfy aswell as water sports and move at 45mph gentley and do 60 on a lake :D

4. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Ausralia and New Zealand is the birthplace of Aluminum jet boats. web search there.

5. Big-A

Big-A Junior Member

not much luck
    just found one that i liked that was it

6. halihunter

halihunter Junior Member

try www.marathon marine.com They are aluminum jet boat builders in Edmonton, I think.
    Any how it is a good site for builing an aluminum boats

7. halihunter

halihunter Junior Member

8. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Most hulls designed for plywood can be adapted to aluminum. With some you may have to do a bit of math to figure out where the stringers should go, but almost any plywood hull shape works in aluminum too. It will take some effort to adapt the structure but it can be done.

If you're doing river running, with some skiing and lake cruising, the shallow-V jetboats at several of the above links are a good starting point. The shallow draft is important on the rivers. It's also important for river running to have only longitudinal stringers in contact with the hull plating- when (not if) you hit rocks, you'll get a long dent instead of a wide hole.

There's plenty of designs out there like this; don't worry about them being in plywood as you can easily adapt most plywood hulls to metal.

9. Big-A

Big-A Junior Member

look at this link
    http://www.kazulinboats.com/index.htm
    click on the picture with the girl in the boat
    thats what i want to replicacate and do some fine finishing wood work and
    seats to go with it :idea:

10. Big-A

Big-A Junior Member

11. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

I dunno who you are, but we're on the same page. I'm in the process of putting a 3d model together...I'll send you a private message. Check out my gallery too.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.