Drink cans,beer cans ETC,using as floatation

Discussion in 'Materials' started by djwkd, Sep 9, 2006.

1. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

well,floating neutrinos did.

2. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

again,why not put floatation in a fame then seal it up?

3. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

I just dont understand what your trying to do. After following your shanty boat ideas and such, it would help to know compleatly what you want to accomplish.
    If you said, " I want to make the cheapest ocean going raft I can get away with" or " I want to use recycled materials to prove a point about the environment", we might be able to help you better. Otherwise people are just tossing ideas out there with no clue.

4. hansp77

hansp77

From the anual Beer Can Regatta in Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I think I can just spot a can of Guinness in there. That also is disgusting who the hell drank that. I assume that each can had to be emptied by the participants no more that 1 hour before launch

6. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

I want to make the cheapest ocean going raft I can get away with

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Why? whats the matter? dont you like Newcastle any more?.

8. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

You've got some of the materials now, yes? For the raft itself? Like anything in life, it starts with a good foundation. Forget cans, do you have 2 liter soda containers over there?

9. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Drink cans, beer cans ETYC, using as floatation

*Oban in the West Highlands of Scotland (my old stomping ground) has an annual 'cross harbour' race (qualifies as ocean) - and the favourite building material for the rafts are beer cans. The ring-pull was saved, straightened, and epoxied back into place. I've also seen can tops 'sealed' with condoms - unfortunately in the Highlands we had trouble finding condoms small enough fit tightly over the can tops, though I believe the American 'standard' size might have served.....;)

For 'cheap' material you might hunt around your 'local' ocean fish-farms. Large blocks of polystyrene (up to 3X4 metres) are used for floatation supports for the fish cages.
    When these become encased in barnacles, weed etc, they tend to be dumped.

Never mind Newcastle Broon in bottles - what about the ridiculous claim of 'draught beer' in bottles...
    *As an aside, a few miles south of Oban locals using the 'Sean Trews' pub can walk across the Atlantic by bridge...(swear to you it's true...check it out via your search engine)
    Good luck.

2 people like this.
  10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

To be serious ( for a second or 2) If i had to make a raft I would use telegraph poles or old railway sleepers( No not the cement type) both these discarded wooden items are already soaked in creosote. I would bind them together with video tape and take along a football called Wilson. I would then make a face on the football with blood and talk to it. Another necessary item would be a pair of ladies ice skates.

11. hansp77

hansp77

you forget the beard Jack,
    everyone always forgets the beard...

12. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

yes,and of course everyone can so easily find telegraph poles,cos morse code is at its peek population now!

13. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

ok,my question,wasn 'what would i do in case i got bored'or 'how would newcastle brown be like in cans'i didnt ask anyone that?any ideas about WHAT I ASKED?

14. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

yeah,but you dont eat or drink newcastle,its a city.

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Its because there is no morse code any more that they have taken them down and stacked them some where, probably somewhere near the railway sleepers. Find out where they have stacked them and go down there with some mates one night and pass a few over the fence.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.