Drilling holes below the waterline.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Duane P Wetick, May 12, 2013.

1. Duane P Wetick

Duane P Wetick Junior Member

I don't like the idea of drilling holes below the waterline on fiberglass boats to mount transducers, trim tabs, swim platforms, etc. Some boaters I know have had to have their entire transoms rebuilt because of water seepage. What's the right way to mount things below the waterline?

Cheers, DocWet [Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

The hole must be made watertight !

Have a look at the Gougeon Brothers book on boat building

Its free on the West site

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/bonding-hardware/

http://[​IMG]

The concept is to remove the core in the area of the fastener then refil with thickened epoxy to prevent water from contacting the core and to act as a compression sleave to keep the core, sandwich from compressing when you torque the fasteners.

Bed the fitting into epoxy to assure that its mating surface is true. Remove fitting, then rebed into 5200 or a bedding of your choice.

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Bed those things in polysulphide. Most hulls aren't cored but some are. As said, use epoxy to seal any core. M<ake sure the epoxy has some purchase on both inner and outer skins. In cases of a solid hull where the fiberglass is thin (as it might be on a stern quarter), a plywood backer bonded in epoxy thickens the hull, strengthening the base the fitting is being attached.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Use polysulphide on wood or if the bedding comes in contact with wooden core material, use polyurethane on 'glass.

Thru hulls are a necessary evil and shouldn't be a concern. They're used extensively throughout the industry and if appropriately maintained, they'll cause no issues. The real issue isn't the thru hulls, but their neglect. If you leave bedding and fasteners unchecked for years, you're going to find out why you shouldn't have placed them out of mind.

Backers are a good idea, though I prefer inert materials for these, such as G-10 or simply a build up of additional laminate in the area.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.