Epoxy hazardous?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Capt'n Bill, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Capt'n Bill

Capt'n Bill Guest

Are there any dangers of using epoxy or any precautions I should take before I start using the stuff. I'm all new to this, please forgive me ;)

Cheers,

Bill

2. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

Relative to Polyester resin, epoxy is much better as far as safety requirements go. I would Recommend getting a MSDS sheet for whatever brand you are considering using - the safety section will be about the same as all other epoxies. I only use gloves, and sometimes eye protection if Im really slinging it around - but go with what the MSDS says until you are familiar enough to make your own call.

Joel
    Boatbuildercentral.com

3. pungolee

pungolee Senior Member

Buy a box of vinyil gloves,xtra large.Dont try to get by with Platex from Wal-mart,you need 50 pair.Get plenty of stir sticks, wooden tongue depressers.Don't wash off epoxy on your skin with solvent.Mix the stuff in small containers in the open air.You can develop a rash from the hardener and never be able to use the stuff again,keep it off your skin!

4. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

I disagree with Joel and agree with pungolee. Epoxy is hazardous to your health in a big way, particularly the hardener. Use protection on your hands, and wash off all epoxy from your skin by the end of your current building session. I personally know of one person who worked with epoxy for years, then all of a sudden developed an allergic reaction that almost killed him. Another client of mine cannot touch cured epoxy or he will break out in hives and his eyes will swell shut. Treat epoxy with care.

Eric

5. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

This is a very good site to spend some time at if you’re new to epoxy. After reading the safety info you can read the basics on working with it.
    Epoxy

Gary :D

6. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

Use Materials that are friendlier to begin with like the SP systems they are a leader in this area also .Follow their usage guidelines; really nice people to deal with and very much on top of the Game...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.