Dream Flyer fl-an 18' daysailing trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

2012-year of sadness

One month ago my 93 year old Mom fell here in our home next to the water.
    It was a bad fall but all she got was a cut-nothing broken. But she went downhill fast after being transferred to a nursing home in Merrit Island. I saw her today and she couldn't speak but grabbed hold of my arm for a few minutes. The nursing home called a few minutes ago and she has died. She was a great lady ,Mother and friend-and was always encouraging. She handled my brothers death this past January ok outwardly but I know it was real tough for her. Losing them both is real, real tough on me.
    She loved the water and we pulled out all the stops to move here from Orlando in 2005. We got a small place with sliding glass doors opening on the Banana River and had an extraordinary sunset almost every night. I've taken care of her since before my Dad died in 2000 and she really enjoyed these last few years on the river.
    This is really almost too much.....

the view from our house when my brother visited last year.....
    and my Mom, Christmas 2008....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  2. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Doug you are having a tough time there. My condolences on your loss sounds like she was a great lady with a long life well lived.

3. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

To you - - my friend

Gooday to you Doug - - & it is a good day to -

1/ to remember what a fabulous mother you have, she's still right there - man
    2/ that your mother - like your brother will be right there close to you
    3/ that both of them are there to talk to every time you need them
    4/ nothing can hurt them now & that they will always be heppy & well
    5/ that both of them will 'bust a gut' looking out for your well being
    6/ that your love for them is huge & will grow - as theirs will for you
    7/ that no one - not ever can get between they & you

As a brother - I care - I ache for you - I'll cry with you & I send you my love

Ciao, james.

4. gypsy28

gypsy28 Senior Member

My condolences Doug, keep your chin up

DAVE

5. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Doug I know how you feel----and I feel for you.
    Just minutes ago I received a phone call from the hospital in Nannup Western Australia to say that my oldest living friend had just died. We went back to when we were both 15 yrs old and had just joined the RAF as aircraft apprentices. We both smoked, as everyone did then. I quit 50 yrs ago but the damage I did in 20 years of moderate smoking can still be seen in a Cat Scan, but it doesn't affect my present health. Bill didn't quit till seven years ago,----and that was too late. He passed away peacefully in his sleep from chronic emphysema. We had parallel and eventful lives. I will miss him greatly.
    Paddy.

6. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Sorry to hear of your loss Doug, keep busy and focus on the good things. My mom passed away a few years ago- transitions are a challenging time. It sounds like your Mom's last years were in a good place.

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Thanks, guys....

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Dream Flyer

This project is postponed-maybe for good. A month ago I wrenched my already injured back preventing my Mom from falling a third time. My Doc who is a sailor thinks the tri would be a big mistake at this point. I may do a smaller monohull(sit in singlehander). I'm going to post the design and tech stuff in a thread- "Crossbow fl"- under sailboats. I was lucky in that Forte hadn't started the tubes($3600 worth) as of this past Monday and they agreed to a full refund minus the two tubes for the spinnaker system on the small boat-Clint is absolutely first class. I guess it is also luck that the two hydrofoils using an experimental core broke when they were tested by Rick Loheed because I was able to change them to work for the plug in DSS system on the little boat(made of spanish red cedar and carbon). They should be at Falcon Marine next week.
    Matt McDonald has been very supportive with this change in plans as has Sharon at Rockledge Architectural(styro)-even though now instead of two 10' amas she has to cut out a 14' mono.
    However, the circumstances with my Moms death require that I move from this little piece of paradise fairly soon and that may cost enough to preclude doing any boat-even the small one for awhile or force it to be done over a longer time. Everybody involved with the project has been very supportive thru this nightmare and I thank them all.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.