Lofting question

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by longfellow, Mar 17, 2010.

1. longfellow

longfellow Junior Member

I have a simple Vee bottom daysailer with the easiest hull to plank (developable surfaces and a chine that meets the front of teh keel at teh base of the stem. Offset table is complete but the typical locations above LWL and forward of Station one which give the very front of the rabbet at both the top and bottom of the stem, are not there. This is not uncommon, particularly with the designer and date in time in his career when he designed boats. Water under the bridge.
    My approach, which I'd like your concurrence or comment on would be;
    Complete the plan with chine and sheer lines. Fair them to teh halfbreadth of the stem which I do have (typical 1/4 inch for a 1/2 inch brass hlf oval at teh stem face).
    Use these two points fwd of station one tocomplete the profile and HOPE THAT THE KEEL BOTTOM AND SHEER LOOK FAIR !!!
    Hopefully I haven't deviated too much and introduced any difficult twist in either the side or bottom planks as I may decide to swap out the solid planks for plywood and I know about the rules for bending plywood.
    I can't think of any other way to complete these lines.
    ?????

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you are planking with plywood, it doesn't make much sense to make a rabbet. Plank to the stem, and then glue or laminate on a false stem. It is way easier and faster.

3. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If a batten lays fair, it should be easy to plank. Use a batten of the same or more thickness than the planking.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.