Shop size and suggestions.

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by DC Landis, Jan 11, 2016.

1. DC Landis

DC Landis Junior Member

I have a nice connected garage that has worked for maintaining two 18 foot boats on trailers with 2' to 3' extended trailer tongues. All garage doors locked when the day was over. Moving the boats still did not prove to be easy. These two boats have been sold to begin a new project.

My question, hopefully to those who have built boats in tight quarters, is this: is building a 20' double chined racing sailboat in such close quarters feasible? The boat will fit diagonally and the design will be downloaded to to templates. The potential problems I am facing are: moving the boat for better access to an area of the boat, putting boat on it's side and a complete inversion of the hull.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Would love to get rolling on this bad boy, DC.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Welcome.

You may have a chance if it is a 2 car garage. If it is smaller than that, you need to find another venue.

3. DC Landis

DC Landis Junior Member

Thanks, I'm hoping with much preplaning I will be able to make moves precisely and well within the space available, thanks much, DC.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The average 2 car will take an 18' straight in, though this is tight. A 20' boat is too tight, though if the building jig is on wheels, you can move it around as necessary. Putting it in at an angle will offer enough room, but also make odd shapes surrounding areas. Build a really stout rolling building jig. It needs to be stout, so it'll hold it's shape when moved around.

5. hoytedow

I built my last boat on a rolling jig, but it was only just under 16 feet long. The garage was long enough to allow for it to be stored but was too tight to work inside. I rolled the jig out to work on the boat. Now I have a 26 feet long garage, large enough to store but still not long or wide enough to work on the boat inside the garage. See my http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/wooden-boat-building-restoration/skiff-51466-2.html thread post #23 and you will get an idea of the rolling jig I used.

6. hoytedow

If your driveway is steep you will encounter difficulties. I never could have done that on some driveways I have seen.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can take the boat out of the garage, roll it, and then put it back in. I have done that with boats up to 73'. Of course we used a crane. A 20' can be rolled by hand over tires; if you have a few friends to help.

8. DC Landis

DC Landis Junior Member

Thanks to all that replied. I do believe that situating the boat diagonally will provide adequate room. Once the hull can be put in a cradle, the swiveling castor idea for the cradle is a great one. I have a paved, flat driveway, so that is a plus. Walking directly into my garage to build, will offset some of the tight quarter minuses. Great input from multiple points of view, thanks. DC Landis

9. hoytedow

One pair of casters should be non-swiveling so you will have more control when moving the jig.

10. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I disagree, I've found all the casters should move, making it easy to shove one end, then the other. Also the lack of control keeps you honest.

11. hoytedow

I would then suggest move be done by 2 persons to avoid banging sides of project into walls, etc.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.