Drag boats reaching close to 260 mph

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by FranklinRatliff, Jun 8, 2006.

1. FranklinRatliff

FranklinRatliff Previous Member

I saw recently where the speed record for Top Fuel drag hydros is now over 258 mph. That's faster than many of the records set with TURBOJET hydroplanes.

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Fast indeed. Especially considering these are usually piston-engine, propeller-driven boats.
    Now look at what it takes to get there: 32 gallons of nitromethane/alcohol per mile, 12 quarts of oil for each quarter-mile run, plus all the fried pistons, valves, broken cranks, etc, plus having to replace the boat now and then when it crashes!
    Fun to watch at times, but I wouldn't want one....

3. FranklinRatliff

FranklinRatliff Previous Member

Boats

Kind of like girls who're fun to date but you wouldn't want to marry them.

4. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

hehe, Franklin, ouch!

:)

I have to say, impressive as this is from an engineering standpoint (which I am not), I don't get the thrill of it. Then again, I never understood supercars either, I prefer another type of fun. "fun to drive" comes to mind.

But, nevertheless, it's mighty impressive!

5. JohnBloch

JohnBloch Yeah...

hah...

yeah... I saw a video somewhere of a RC boat doing like 120.... If only It were Scale size... those guys would be whipped...

I saw a Jet Runabout the other day at the Missouri River...

It was cool... not that fast though... and It was fun trying to see him tie up at the dock!!!!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.