Drafting Machine Question

Discussion in 'Education' started by jacks-davis, Aug 22, 2003.

1. betelgeuserdude

betelgeuserdude Junior Member

Hi Eric.

I bought my K&E 62 0005 planimeter on Ebay, after a great deal of patient waiting. I ended up paying $31.99 for it in "mint" condition, but the price would have been substantially higher if the auction had been allowed to play out. This number represented the "buy-it-now" price.

K&E numbers are: (old number)

62 0000 (N4236): Fixed arm, tracer lense, imperial

62 0002 (N4236P): Fixed arm, tracer point, imperial

62 0005 (N4236M): Fixed arm, tracer lense, metric

62 0010 (N4237): Fixed arm, tracer lense, direct reading for acres (1"=330')

62 0015 (N4242): Adjustable arm, tracer lense, imperial/metric

62 0022 (anvil) (N4242 1/2): Same qualities as 62 0015, but an economy model with tracer point.

Other planimeters that I was considering were the Lasico L10, L20, and L30. These are still in production and fetch a fair price. Google "lasico" for information. I like the Lasico tracer lense and pole weight better than the K&Es.

There were a few other candidates, but these two brands were my first choices. Generally, the really expensive planimeters are the digital variety, with which I was not at all interested.

Happy hunting.

DC

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Parallel Rule and CAD

A Mayline is a straight edge with an arrangement of wires connected to the ends of the rule and the corners of the board that cause it to remain parallel the wire up at one end is connected to the wire down at the other, and the same at the other end. You can actually make one at home if you like.

It is important to realize that effective use of CAD is not just using it as an electric pencil. It is a change in thinking - build a model of the boat in the computer, then derive what data you need from it, using an integrated electronic product model approach. This is what really makes the bacon in both design and construction.

Go to www.shipconstructor.com for an example.

3. Kleizik

Kleizik New Member

Help is almost here.

If you have a table that is less than 4' you should use an elbow, simply because the track machines are really bulky. I have a table that is 3'-6" and
    I had to modify the drafting machine to fit my board. I can use it, but on the sides and at the bottom it extends over the table 6 inches.
    No, the head does'nt matter, all it is, is a hyped up protactor.
    New drafting machines have to be made on request, because they don't stock them anymore, so just get a used one, make sure it's not a junker; plust its cheaper. I got my drafting machine from my teacher, so I don't know of a good place, but mutoh makes good ones. watch out for the scales, they're a bit expensive.

good luck - Kleizik the Engineer

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.