Low price Catamarans

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by SteveW, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveW

SteveW New Member

2. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

If I had the reserves to spend $170K for a boat, I'd hop a flight and go and meet R**** **********. He's got some good press.

http://www.********************/press.html

I don't see it as a honeypot scam. If you want the company to build you a vessel, offer to work with them from time to time. There are many ways to help you to boost your confidence in their work and you'll know where the bodies are buried. :D :D

Good luck,

Pericles

3. SunKing

SunKing New Member

Hey Steve, did you ever find out more about the RBs. I am looking at options right now and curious to know if you found anything out.

4. L'eau.Life

L'eau.Life Junior Member

I'm heading over to Pattaya end of the first week in May to meet ***** ********** (the RB in RB Catamarans) with a view to ordering the RB38. He has one in production and I shall be viewing the finish and quality of all the boats in his yard - he has the 38, a 50 powercat, a 40' Wharram and a 60' mono all in production.
    I'll post my findings when I get back for those who might be interested but so far the interaction I've had with ***** are all very positive if a little slow to get answers.
    Cheers, Alan

5. SunKing

SunKing New Member

Rb

Good luck with that. They seem to have a good deal there. I have been unable to get pricing to the US though. I look forward to hearing what you find.

6. L'eau.Life

L'eau.Life Junior Member

These guys are good :)

I'm almost loathe to report on my visit because it quite simply; this is a secret I'd like to keep for myself ;)
    I went to Pattaya last week :cool: and met with ***** and his team. They took me to their main workshop where they have a number of boats in various states of build including 2 x RB34 sailing cats, an RB38 powercat, a Wharram, an awesome 50ft powercat and a classic 60ft motor yacht due for launch next month.
    Across this range I was able to see the quality and standard of workmanship which is very high. The 60'er is almost complete and the attention to detail is really good with some beautiful stainless and teak all crafted locally. ***** even makes his own hatches using an epoxy frame and stratified glass to avoid issues with leaks from varying expansion rates of aluminium and plexiglass in the conditions around Thailand.
    Generally ***** does all the main build and construction in-house but due to pressure from a rapidly growing order book, he now outsources much of the minor work of consoles, panels etc.
    At their second yard their are two more RB34s in build an almost completed 40ft sailing cat and the the first 30ft "Warrior" powercat is being built for ***** to get some R&R . . . . . yeah right! This guy is a dynamo, with a diverse range of business interests and I don't see that boat getting too much cruising time with him at the helm!
    Back at the office (another 10min drive away) I sat down with ***** and Jan to discuss my new boat. *****'s position is that he's never built a stock boat - of the 7 RB34s each have different features to fit their individual owners - and the outcome of that is I will be pulling a detailed specification together for more discussion with ***** before placing an order.
    My biggest worry is getting the finished boat from Pattaya to New Zealand. Before going I got a shipping quote and that basically wrote off the savings of having it built up there. After talking to the RB team however they are helping me investigate roll-on-roll-off out of Singapore so I can get a nice cruise in from Pattaya to Singapore and I've got a much more attractive quote to run with a delivery skipper all the way from Thailand to NZ - what a trip! :D
    I'm traveling again this week so if anyone wants to ask questions it will take me a while to respond but as and when I get back I will try to answer any questions.
    Stay well! Alan

7. masalai

masalai masalai

Alan, quite an interesting report. Do you have any pictures to post? *****, boats in build etc etc?

Have you thought of the import duty and GST due immediately on arrival back in NZ?

8. L'eau.Life

L'eau.Life Junior Member

Just getting the pics from my phone and will try to post a couple before I head off again.
    Yes, duty is 7% and GST 12.5% but since the build cost in Thailand is so good this still makes it a good plan provided the shipping can be kept under control. Best quote thus far is US$20k plus fuel but I want to know more of the ro-ro prices before deciding.

9. L'eau.Life

L'eau.Life Junior Member

Here are a few general photos from around the RB yards

10. masalai

masalai masalai

L'eau you gotta wait till the images are uploaded after pressing the upload button...

11. L'eau.Life

L'eau.Life Junior Member

Ooops!

Attached Files:

12. masalai

masalai masalai

Thanks, That is a very nice toyshop, has it got a website/address & pics of the boss *****? (after next visit?)

13. L'eau.Life

L'eau.Life Junior Member

Try *********************. There are a number of links & some stuff about *****. Sorry, browsing from my phone & can't post active links

14. robert self

robert self Junior Member

Hi all,

http://www.tiki38.blogspot.com/ describes the building of a Tiki 38 at the RBC boatyard in Pattaya. You can see Tiki off to the left side in one of the pics submitted in an earlier post.

I have a 26 foot custom monohull being built at the yard. Started in June/2007. I expect the build to take about 2yr. even though the contract completion time is about 1.5 yr. The Tiki 38 blog says that his boat is 4 months overdue.

So far, so good as far as the build quality of my boat is concerned. I visited the yard in Feb/08 to see for myself. Currently the guys are working on my interior.

I'm very happy that the guy supervising my build is a native english speaker, Chris Harrell. *****'s first language is not english and early on it was somewhat frustrating for me to write 3 paragraphs of questions and get back a single line reply in broken english.

Either lead for ballast is hard to get or very expensive. The yard is building the interior but has yet to install the ballast. Not a problem for mutihulls since they do not have ballast.

I also would like to get feedback from others who have either purchased boats from RB boatyard.

rself

15. siam sailor

siam sailor New Member

Boat building, use due dilligence in Thailand

I have recently built a boat in Thailand, this boat was built at the low priced yard.
    I regret ever setting foot in this yard, I was conned, robbed, cheated.

WARNING this boat builder finds all his victims via the Internet and are seduced by his low price quotes. I did not practise due diligence, if the price is to good to be true...it is. This builder exploits Thai labour and uses cheap materials and substandard parts. and at the end of the project...the price doubles....extras that he does not inform you of.

ask this builder for references of past customers of boats, contact them and look at their boats....trust me, he has no happy customers. this Italian boat builder has many skeletons in his closet, and has robbed many customers !!

Warning.... If you build a boat in Thailand !!!!

demand the right to have independent surveys done by a proper yacht surveyor.

have the right for a proper sea trial by a surveyor before payment in full.

have a legal contract made by a real lawyer in Bangkok that includes a standard warranty.

If you ask for these basic rights...the above boat yard will never sign a contract with you. saving all misery many have been through...I personally know over 10 victims.

I must say now that this boat yard is using a real Naval Architect the boats are better..... I hope. The victims I know of, most had boats that are the boat yards design... with no Naval Architect engineering. This boat yard has many past customers that have junk boats and no warranty was honoured. you see many photo's on his web site....ask to see the boats today...and ask to talk to the owners....try.....good luck. expect no real warranty....

WARNING....IT TAKES YEARS TO GET ANY RECOURSE WITH THE THE THAI LEGAL SYSTEM...BASICLY...YOU GET NONE...ANY WRITTEN WARRANTY YOU GET WILL BE WORTHLESS. ( THIS IS THE FAR EAST ASIA !!!! )

PLEASE PRACTISE DUE DILIGENCE !!!!!

Regards
    Siam Sailor

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.