Douglas Fir

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by wudenbote, Sep 3, 2008.

1. wudenbote

wudenbote Junior Member

Hi all! Thanks for your invaluable help. Originally I was planning on using Southern Yellow Pine for my frames on my 20' power dory. Now I am reconsidering and thinking about Douglas Fir for frames. It would help reduce the weight. However, I don't know about the strength factor. Any thoughts would be appreciated. The plywood skin is going to be Hydrotek ( a marine grade Meranti plywood) which is ideal for boats but is 20% heavier than Okuome so I would like to compensate for that added weight with lighter frames if possible.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Honestly, I wouldn't be all that worried about the weight gain with Meranti over Okoume. A 20' dory would be hard pressed to use more then 8 sheets of plywood. This means your Meranti hull will be about 40 pounds heavier then a Okoume hull. Hell, that's just a cooler full of beer or a battery for running a boom box. Douglas fur is significantly weaker then southern yellow, too.

3. dsuursoo

dsuursoo Senior Member

stick with the pine. if you want a weight savings in the framing, switch to a hardwood like white oak, you can go thinner for the same strength, and save yourself some weight there. as par said, don't worry about the hull.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.