material changing design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rberrey, Mar 6, 2011.

1. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

My hulls are designed around 8.5/1, thickness of hull material using wood from stringers out is about 7/8" both sides included. The 5/8" foam option which I,m using is about 3/4" to 1" thicker than the wood version. The designer says to take the extra thickness from the stringers or keep it and have extra vol. If I keep the extra disp. how much will that affect the speed of the boat, as it,s a slow one by todays standards anyway.rick

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You're going to have to be more specific or articulate yourself much better then that if you want a reasonable reply. We can assume so much, but then it's gets to a big guessing game and that's what happens about one sentence into your post.

3. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

Not sure how to articulate it better,( a tristar 31) with the foam my hulls will be about 1" wider out to out, more vol.,greater disp to sail area. Will 1" make much differance? thanks rick

4. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I understand your post (really had to read hard, maybe say it again another way) and can only comment that in my build, I had a similar issue.

I had a constant hull form where the hull meets the mold, but used an extra 1/4" thicker foam than specs called for. This reduced my interior space by 1/4" all the way around. It also reduced headroom (technically) by 1/2".

I found this to be an acceptable compromise as compared to increasing displacement. You may find it acceptable (and more simple) as well.

5. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

I,m trying not to reduce my interior space, I might have to. I think what I want to figure out is what price will I pay in other areas for the extra displacement. thanks rick

6. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I know that's what you're saying.

Of course, with more displacement and all other things being equal, you'll float higher up on your waterline. It will be interesting to see what some designers say about it, but I don't really see it being a huge difference.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.