DIY Wind Vane Plans

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by paddlerjay, May 25, 2009.

1. paddlerjay

paddlerjay Jay Blackburn paddlerjay

I used to have a Transat boat with a homade windvane. Worked great - I am sure it was a QME. Ive searched the web and get a few hits on people having them but no manufacturer or plans. Anyone got any ideas ? Looking for vertical vane and either trim tab or Aux steering oar.
    Thank You
    Jay:cool:

2. Ramona

Ramona Senior Member

3. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

Windvane

I sailed my first boat from BC to New Zealand with a QME type vane. It was a horribly unbalanced 36 footer ( Kinney designed "Pipe Dream") It was overpowered but got here there. Later I hooked the same vane to a trim tab, says rig style. That worked better, but the boat was still an abortion.
    I found 1/8th inch 7X19 stainless wire worked far better for the lines, as they stretched less and chaffed less.
    Now I use the one in my book, designed for well balanced boats with outboard rudders.
    Brent

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.