Dory - Flat Bottom - J. Spira - Claims

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Standpipe, Jun 10, 2015.

1. wavepropulsion

wavepropulsion Pirate Member

Never a thread is old in my opinion because much people uses Google when researching as I do many times. And old threads still very informative in most matters.
    Thank you for your comment, I think was necessary and brings more sense to the whole.

2. noreasterner

noreasterner New Member

I believe that is a boat just called the Hunky Dory. Not the actual Glen-L Hunky which is much larger and quite different. Here is a pic of the actual Hunky

Dropbox - IMG_0120.jpg - Simplify your life https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ae9un1262ng2h3/IMG_0120.jpg?dl=0

3. messabout

messabout Senior Member

If you can achieve 15 knots with the 40 Hp engine, your boat is not likely to be a Banks style dory. It must be a Flattie or Sharpie. Sure enough the sharpie can be a bit nervous in a following sea. At 15 knots, the following sea is not likely to stuff the transom. To be sure, the flat bottom of a Sharpie, at 15 knots, will loosen your eye teeth when in dusty conditions. The Banks dory is heavily rockered and has less tendency to broach to those nasty waves approaching from astern. Nor does it pound excessively.

I will cheerfully argue that a vee bottom is not much more comfortable in a following sea. The width of the aft most part of the run has a lot to do with the behavior in such conditions, It is a matter of wetted section area and lift distance from the CB. . Banks dories have very little far aft displacement area whereas, a sharpie does.

A while back in time there were a lot of St Pierre et Miquelaine dories used by the fisherfolk in the Maritimes. They were often powered by Lunenburg one cylineder make and break engines. Happily, few of those fishermen succumbed to the ravages of the vicious weathers that habituated that area.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.