Doomsday boat.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by river runner, Apr 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. viking north

viking north VINLAND

DStall, While I signed off the thread some posts back. I thought it very important to #1 counteract the un experienced comments against the "truth is stranger than fiction" posts of Battan and #2 pass on rare but very important psychological survival reference material that while directed toward sailers in general is applicable to all in survival mode. The intent was not to create debate but to encourage those interested to read this chapter in the book. Survival boats loaded with food and weapons are at a big disadvantage if mindset and understanding such under stressfull situations is not taken into account. In reality it is the deciding factor in many cases between life and death. --- Good info give it a read----Cheers Geo

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Personally I think any situation that ends up qualifying to be considered "doomsday" will be a fluid situation. Parameters of survival will be constantly changing and unless one is able to adapt then survival at best is short term. Me, I'm an arrogant *******, the arrogant bastad gene seems to always survive. I'd eat worms if worms were all that I had, rinse em off and down the hatch, deal with it.

I'm thinking that the most realistic event coming our way is resource depletion, fuel isn't really all that hard to come buy. I could recycle plastics into diesel, tires, whatever I could get that had the right chemistry. Its things like food and fresh water that end up the big commodities, I'll have my fuel still up by end of summer, been driving the truck about some as well. testing all the new systems. Runs on any number of waste oils.

Food water shelter, transportation is a bit farther down my list, but its there. A boat is just transportation. first concern is shelter. OK boat provides that, but food and water, not so much. Going back a ways in our conversation I'm thinking some secluded cove somewhere would be best, one in which I could actually keep the boat out of site of passersby both on land on water, would be even better. I'd keep fire down to a minimum and lie low. Depends on how many people I had with me. Or if I knew anyone nearby I might join up with. I'd also be dragging a rather large pile of tools around with me if at all possible. New sh!ts going to be hard to come by, fixing **** it going to a real valuable skill, at least until the changing tide comes and sweeps us all away.

3. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

it will be easy for you because your a cyborg. i saw your photo in the hovercraft thread.:D

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

ummmm - sorry, please explain ????

5. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Survival boats, various.

Attached Files:

6. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

With all due respect, putting 'image' over 'truth' is always a problem I have usually resolved, with my wise father's guidance, in my own heart, by choosing truth over image, fantasy, tradition, false memories, religion of any kind other than in my own heart, phony patriotism, shallow values, vague feelings of past glory or any other means of self-deception.
    While not religious, my grandparents and parents taught me how to treat and respect others as I would expect myself to be treated, no matter how different and strange they may appear, and I've been told this is a christian value, and since I think JC was a fabulous guy with great ideas, I'll buy that, though I am not a christian or anything else you can put in a box and put a name to.
    I respect the American flag and volunteered for 4 years of active duty during the VN war.
    I love and respect the fighting men and women of our armed forces, knowing they have the hardest job in the world for the least reward.
    I merely repeated what was told me by one who was there personally, getting bombed on Dec 8 at Clark Field, killing enemy soldiers for several months in hysterical Banzai charges, getting deserted by his government in the greatest defeat of American arms in history, sh**ting blood and near death for years at a time, so I don't see how what I've said 'insults' people who died in any war.
    Your comments further disparage me for putting down Native Americans (I'm a good part Cherokee by the way) death camp victims etc.
    Because of the civil nature of this forum, I will stop now, before I go further, and go have a beer.

7. GTO

GTO Senior Member

You might not consider this mocking the dead, but I SURE as hell do.
    I am quite willing to step away from this subject, even though I too have a lot more to say. I'm willing, for the sake of a civil and polite forum (which first brought me here) to just drop it.

But if you continue to misrepresent my position in further responses I'll be happy to jump in with both feet.

So I'll step away from this thread - with this post - and leave what follows up to you.

8. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Quoting my dad and I certainly won't retract it. He didn't mock them, it was their epitaph in the stumbling thirsty ranks at the time, since they had no marked graves alongside that terrible Luzon road but were left to rot in the ditches. War vets talk in a cruel way sometimes. My heart goes out to them in their despair, abandoned by the US to their cruel fate, as MacArthur escaped to be called a hero and get covered in glory and photo-ops while the Bataan Death March and the 76,000 captured American and Filipino troops were forgotten and remain so to this day. They were considered 'shamed' because they had finally surrendered to the huge and overwhelming fresh Japanese forces thrown against them, while they themselves were given no support, and were 'shunned' in the press after except for the when the occasional uplifting hero story was trotted out to sell war bonds. Other than that, Bataan was quickly forgotten.
    When Germany fessed up and paid large sums to their WW2 slave laborers out of justice, Japan never did, never will, and Pop resented the fact that his country did not stand up for him in that matter till the day he died. He was just another old vet to forget about now the battle was over and was swept under the rug and forgotten.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bataan_Death_March
    After capture they were marched for days with little food or water, beaten to death, run over by trucks and tanks, bayonetted, shot, beheaded, how can I have nothing but empathy and respect for their deaths and the sacrifice of terrific prolonged battle with little supplies these heroic soldiers put up on Bataan and the horrible aftermath?
    But falling to your knees and calling on God for pity and help when you are exhausted will not stop the bayonet while staying on your feet will, as he observed at the time of the stroll in the sun from Mariveles north. There were military Chaplains along who stayed alive by doing the same, and gave ultimate comfort and care to those who needed them afterwards. They knew when to talk to their God on their knees and when to do so on their feet. With all due respect to former POW Senator McCain, whose own feelings of religion gave him the power to endure a long and brutal time, we all find our own inner strength where we find it. And the know it alls who were first in line at the bordello on pay day and the first to get in a bar fight and always were in trouble with the sergeant for their smart mouth because they were smarter than anyone else found the attitude did not work when your very survival, literally, depended on quickly figuring out the complex social psychology of the Japanese army and trying to figure out those foreign words they kept screaming at you just before they hit you with a big stick, not showing how tough you were. You don't stand up 'like a man' to a Japanese soldier captor and look him in the eye, you bow deeply in submission in the usual cultural Japanese way of social organization, and those who did not figure this out in seconds, could die as a result, or a least get beaten very badly with a club or gun butt, which doesn't do a lot to increase your survival strength.
    The thread was about a survival boat and I sidetracked it into survival in general based on my dad's experiences and observations and I apologize if I have given offense by doing that, and by my words, but they stand for the reasons given, and I would like to continue with peoples' ideas for doomsday boats and the reasons and scenarios that seem to bring that boat forth as a good idea for what they foresee as a 'doomsday' scenario.
    Personally, after reading others' feelings, it seems a bad large area contamination caused by a disease contagion or radiological release of some kind is a good chance of happening, caused by nature or man more likely, and would seriously disrupt the system of law enforcement and resource flow, people would get hungry and thirsty and afraid of each other, and it would be best to be somewhere rather less populated and be as independent as possible. The Spent Fuel Pool at Fukushima #4 seems a realistic immediate threat to the western US.
    Staying at sea in a safe area for a long time with a large boat full of supplies and tools is one option, having a small resource harvesting boat for coastal, lake or river survival seems another, though eating fish, frogs and snakes full of Cesium and Plutonium isn't good for survival chances.
    Maybe the realistic use of a survival boat is to run away and stay independent as long as possible, when most others are trapped on the land with clogged roads and no gas, so the ocean going sailboat seems one choice.

9. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Or just live on an island, off an island, off an island as people I know do. Water barriers are great for filtering the mass invasions down.

I have great fondness for boats but the only thing they're really good for in any sort of prolonged survival situation is to take you somewhere else where you can cast yourself on the kindness of those land based scum (*).

(From a quote - there are 2 kinds of people in this world. Sailors, and land based scum).

PDW

10. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

That's a great summary of the situation. The only hole in the concept is not allowing for the existence of of "scurvy knaves" - (waterbased scum). There are plenty of them too.

11. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

That's what guns were invented for. But let's not divert there, been done to death in other threads.

PDW

12. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Yeah, problem with scurvy knaves is they are usually armed and there are more of them than you, with better guns and a lot more ammo, so best to hide and not be found.
    I agree islands can make an excellent place to retreat from the general population since access is difficult, so a boat is a good thing to get there with and take some supplies along.

1 person likes this.
  13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

don't let him get to you Batty, I threw you some points for being a good egg and having the guts to tell it like it is regardless of who's noodle got baked in the process.

same thing happens when deniers disagree over on the climate thread. They descend into jibbering nonsense and think that somehow insults will prove there point.

Its just childish ranting, ignore it as best you can, and enjoy that beer, I just realized I'm out. ;-(

1 person likes this.
  14. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

look up post 23 in bostons thread. hey look hovercraft are boats to.

15. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Thanks Boston- Let's keep it real and promise to avoid insults and stay civil and respectful.