Don't Overpay

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by lewisboats, Aug 22, 2008.

1. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

For Kingston 15 plans: It also called a No Frills 15 and plans are available from the original designer for $55 LESS than the web site advertises. Needless to say I paid too much :(

The original designer sells them for $40.

His address is:

John L. Pruitt
    1346 Sycamore St.
    Stockbridge, GA 3028-4502

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I dont think $55 is a big deal - I have found for the cost of a website and its maintenance, they provide greater convenience for buyers in information, tips, ease of purchase etc.

I have waited up to 4 months for mail replies from plan sellers, and yet got other plans within a week from an internet site.

3. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

You misunderstand what he said. He said $55 less, which is $40 instead of $95, not to mention another $15 for shipping. And the less expensive source is from the designer. Is the internet site going to offer full support?

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I understand *exactly* what he meant - he thinks he paid $55 too much, which is what I think isnt all that big a problem.

That $55 pays for the cost of providing the website, the computer, software , updating the content, phone charges and bank fees.

heck - he probably found the plans using Google, that searched through thousands of other boat designs before he found the ones that suited. He would have paid more than $55 sending out letters to all the boat designers in the world *if* he had their addresses. 500 letters to designers would have cost say $250, plus all the effort in printing and enveloping.

Sure, now he knows where to buy it cheaper - but only because he paid the $55 extra for the knowledge. Its a bargain.

Next year, he will probably want to build another boat from another design. Will he write to all the boat designers in the world? No way - he will search the internet and pay a little extra for the massive convenience again.

Heck - he could have saved the whole amount of plan money, and just built the boat from his own drawings. That would have saved a heap ..... NOT.

Like the painter says "It all depends on your perspective."

5. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Gee wiz,

I don't know what brought that on. but I think the arguing points in this particular case are pretty obvious.

----------------------------------------
    I understand *exactly* what he meant - he thinks he paid $55 too much, which is what I think isnt all that big a problem.

That $55 pays for the cost of providing the website, the computer, software , updating the content, phone charges and bank fees. The designer also has a website and provides those same services direct from the source..

heck - he probably found the plans using Google, that searched through thousands of other boat designs before he found the ones that suited. He would have paid more than $55 sending out letters to all the boat designers in the world *if* he had their addresses. 500 letters to designers would have cost say $250, plus all the effort in printing and enveloping. If he had used Google, he would have also gotten the designers website and not have paid the 237% markup from the reseller in the first place.

Sure, now he knows where to buy it cheaper - but only because he paid the $55 extra for the knowledge. Its a bargain. Huh?

Next year, he will probably want to build another boat from another design. Will he write to all the boat designers in the world? No way - he will search the internet and pay a little extra for the massive convenience again. I’ll bet 99% of us don’t choose to buy things that way. Almost all use the internet these days and it is pretty cheap for both buyer and seller.

Heck - he could have saved the whole amount of plan money, and just built the boat from his own drawings. That would have saved a heap ..... NOT. Now, that is a true statement for sure.

Like the painter says "It all depends on your perspective." Also true.

Don’t mean to be so argumentative but thought these points needed to be covered.

Cheers

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.