Dont fall overboard

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Frosty, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

SOFNHATLY OFFTSOL!

-Tom

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Not quite, but it ticked the old memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shark_Arm_case

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I'm sure the fellow who told me the story about the Queen Mary didn't throw anyone over board himself, but he did go into some detail about the antics of some MP's that raised the ire of the troops to boiling point. So I am not inclined to dismiss it as an invented story, but neither can I be certain it actually did occur. If it did happen, I see no reason why it would be on the record, there was urgent business at hand with the Afrika korps to be attended to.

4. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Why did the military abandon troop ships in favor of airliners? Because cruising close to islands on cruise liners, even while doing troop ship duty, proved too dangerous!
    :D

5. truecougarblue

truecougarblue Junior Member

A bit OT but I was watching a Nova program last night that showed that rare earth metals work as shark repellant when immersed in seawater.

Anybody heard of a commercial product based on this?

6. Yobarnacle

Sharks and dolphins are mortal enemies. I recomend survival/immersion suits disguise you as a dolphin so sharks run away! :D

7. Yobarnacle

Was the Loran station French Frigate Shoals?
    Can't find any reference to such a story. A hushup? or a myth?

8. bntii

bntii Senior Member

SCWS

My dad served in WWII in the States doing photo cartography work.
    Just as the war in the pacific was shutting down they got the bright ideal to ship him over to the Japanese islands.
    He recounted that mid ocean they spend days steaming through a vast school of squid seemingly covering the ocean.
    Sea Covered With Squid....

A sea story?
    You even see any strange fauna on your passages Yob?

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Another of one of those incredible and yet unbelievable storys.

I once shut down the engine and stppped the boat mid sea at my discovery at two legs dangling from the rudder blade. I noticed this in the dim light of the stern lights illumination. The legs each had 2 red socks on and I feard what I had to do next which was to get a body on board mid sea.

I had just sailed / motored nearly 1000 miles without sleep from Singapore to just about 50 miles off Rayong Thailand .

It was a fishing pole with a red flag broken in two.

I do believe fisher men see seals and think them mermaids. I honestly believe that they believe they see them.

10. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I don't recall if it was French Frigate or Johnstone Island, but it doesn't matter. It was all BS. Sea stories by people with over active imaginations.

However I do remember clearly meeting a fellow who had just (I mean literally just got off the plane!) returned from Johnstone Island. He had a really wild look in his eyes and seem very distracted. Of course that may have been because they sent him to Governors Island in NYC. I can't imagine what the culture shock must be like to go from an isolated atoll in the pacific, straight to NYC. Anyway he looked a little "crazy" from his time on the island. Being that isolated for 18 months or more can do things to you.

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Everything is bull crap, people need to feed egos, and where could you best fabricate wild storys than at sea where no one else is about where I do believe dragons and sea monster of enormous proportions have spotted.

Ghosts any one ---oh please.

12. Ike

Ike Senior Member

"Here there be dragons" A common notation on ancient maps.

13. Yobarnacle

Strange fauna?

Well, not strange. Ocean currents are the equivalent of rivers on land. Similarly they attract life. On ocean tows, because of a 7 knot tow speed, I always pick favorable current routes. Faster and vastly more entertaining. A constant circus of whales, porpoises, flying fish, and less frequently seen fish and turtles during the day, and at night, the sea reflects solid red where ever you aim a searchlight. The reflection of shrimp and squid eyes on the surface.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.