Dongles and laptops

Discussion in 'Software' started by Aramas, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Aramas

Aramas Grumpy Old Man

I recently bought a new laptop that doesn't have a parallel port, so of course I can't use it for Autoyacht. I contacted them and they're unwilling to supply a usb dongle unless I upgrade to the current version, which as far as I can tell differs only in the version number and usb dongle. It's not going to happen. Ever.

Most of the extremely brief email response concerned paying them $200 an hour to talk to me. At least I know that I'll be giving my money to a different company when I upgrade.

Has anyone had any luck with using parallel dongles on usb ports via usb->parallel cables or port replicators? The only other alternative would be a software dongle crack, and since I've paid for the license I wouldn't even have to feel guilty about it. I may even make it available on emule :)

It doesn't pay to piss off paying customers.

2. Martijn_vE

Martijn_vE Marine software developer

To the best of my knowledge there are adapters available that allow you to plug serial devices into USB ports. From what I have seen however this doesn't work for dongles. The adapters are a lot cheaper than 200$ though, so it's at least worth a try ;)

3. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

The CAM software I have is old and unsupported it uses a parallel port dongle. I also bought a new laptop without a parallel port; I tried a parallel to USB adapter it was a waste of money. The dongle works with a software driver which won’t look in the USB port. The cheapest fix for me was an old laptop with a parallel port used just for CAM work. $25 on an online auction.
    Gary

4. schrambo

schrambo New Member

I know for sure that you can get a USB to RS232 - (9pin serial cable adaptor). Perhaps if you then use one of these with a RS232 to paralell port converter too. Messy I know but that may work.

5. Aramas

Aramas Grumpy Old Man

Fixed

Problem solved. I downloaded a free crack on p2p, and it works perfectly on my new laptop. Now I can use my core 2 duo with 2GB of ram, wide screen and Radeon x1700 with 256MB of onboard ram. Huge improvement, especially rendering. I can throw away my crappy old Dell now.

I also appreciate the irony that a paying customer had to turn to criminals to provide the service that the company declined to do. And it was free :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.