Dolphins playing with air and water

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by SeaSpark, Jan 20, 2008.

1. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

1 person likes this.
  2. masalai

masalai masalai

Fantastic video, Thanks very much

3. yipster

yipster designer

fantastic indeed, made my day

4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Thanks, very cool.:)

5. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

I like it! Why should they type? got more sense than humans, to busy playing to worrry about this work thing!

Now that's sensible!

6. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Typing dolphins

If they could type some obviously bored aquarium dolphin could participate on boatdesign.net. Get real deep into discussions about laminar/turbulent flow, pressure distribution in water and talk about the best way to remove kelp from your appendages.

7. masalai

masalai masalai

Or discover that they should escape from that aquarium & gain their freedom to do their own thing and not have to entertain stupid humans as a means of avoiding the sheer boredom of being held in a tank?.

8. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Sad dolphins

Have had the feeling before but this video made realize even more that we do not have the right to put these creatures in an aquarium.

There are more than enough possibilities to show dolphins in their own environment, from a boat.

9. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

Dolphins are so amazing and even a little scary. Recently on Mythbusters they explored whether or not sharks, even great white sharks the size of a car, are afraid of dolphins. Answer? YES!! But why would they be, you might ask?

On another documentary, scientists were puzzled by mysterious deaths of baby dolphins. After much research and detective work, they concluded that the baby dolphins were the unfortunate victims of a sort of 'infanticide' practiced when the leaders of the pod decided it was not a wise time for more babies. No big deal, right? Lots of pack animals have been known to do that. The unusual thing was the apparent mechanism of death: SONAR BURST! The adult dolphins are apparently so adept at using directed sound energy that they can even direct a powerful disruptive burst (Like lithotripsy) at another animal's vital organs, rupturing them! And the pulses are apparently highly directed, targeted even at vital organs, which means 1) the dolphin knows what vital organs are and 2) he can find them, apparently by listening for the source of their noise.

Now scientists did not say that dolphins used this technique as a weapon against sharks in the documentary, but isn't it just a little weird that huge great white sharks should be afraid of little old dolphins:?:

10. masalai

masalai masalai

Imagine the "sonar tech" diligently listening for "enemy ships" and a trained dolphin directs a sonar blast at the sonar "microphone". Enough to send the poor man out off his mind??????

11. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

Careful, those might be "state secrets" :D

12. masalai

masalai masalai

Whose, Russia (KGB) or Italy, ???? or England (MI5) or Australia (don't make me laugh).. can't be USA, they use windows, & everyone knows that is not a secure OS...., besides it is all on the internet... of in Janes Shipping or whatever - source you prefer..

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Well I guess they could do that if the aquarium is near the sea and they could swim to sea . Otherwise they would have to get a taxi and they don't have any money.

14. masalai

masalai masalai

Threaten to turn the cabbies brains to slush (Oh they probably already are, else he wouldn't be a cabbie). Promise a head job he will never forget on arrival? :D :D :D :D

15. AuxiliaryComms

AuxiliaryComms Master work in progress

That is just nuts... I'll have to be sure to carry a good complement of fish with me if I'm ever around dolphins. Wouldn't want to piss someone off.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.