DOLPHIN MASSACRE in Japan !!!

Discussion in 'Press Releases' started by brian eiland, Mar 12, 2007.

1. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

commercial fishing tends to be self policiing,,,,,when a spiecies is no longer able to return a profit ,,the fisherman will adapt to another fisheries or go belly up himself , my piont being ,,,,a 30 lb yellowfin grouper ,takes about 20 yrs to get to this size. ,,if I have a boat payment of 1000 us and a insurance payment of 2500 us ,,fuel ,bait, ice groceries fishing gear , and maintanance,,and dock fees ,,and shares for my crew,,I have to catch ,,,lets say 5000lbs of fish per trip to remain profitable enough to ,,,,if this trip only takes 3 days ,,that is good,,if it takes me 10 days to reach payload ,,that is bad ,so I must switch to something more profitable, thus giving the yellowfin another 20 or 30 years to replenish,and it looks good on paper,,,,,or you can adapt and become a powerlineman ,,build a sailboat ,and dream of the day you can charge offshore with your son and nephew,,trolling for monsters,,,,,if we give the fish a rest ,,nature will take care of herself,,longliner

2. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Tell that to the cod fishermen up on the Grand Banks:rolleyes:

3. longliner45

brian ,,,, I am a displaced commercial fisherman,,,,,,,,as for the cod fisherman ,,it was a shame about giviing our grounds to the canadians ,,,,,,,(,georges banks) but now you are talking about something I understand first hand ,,;;;;;;by the way brian ,,I worked the Holland out of hampton va ,,was raised there ,,done some crabbin,,,,and oysters,,,,,,longlined in the gulf of mexico ,,,,,man it was great ,,,,outran some mexican gunboats a few times ,,,,,,,,for tresspassing ,,,,,longliner

4. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I'm not going to pretend I know anything about it. I just visited that museum up in Lunnenburg where a good friend bought a house. I marveled at the photos of the huge catches of fish (both size and amount) made there in the old days. I understand the situation is bleak these days

1 person likes this.
  5. longliner45

yes it is ,,,but it is the situation (we ALL have to deal with these days),,,and Brian I admire your honesty ......longliner

6. Roly

Roly Senior Member

How much of an "expert" do you have to be to see the folly in it. Easy pickin's
    and greed are the reason; And high world prices drive dwindling stock to levels that will take half a century to replenish. If ever, to re-establish previous, heathy specie balance.
    Another, monumental raping of a resource.
    With global warming and resource mismanagement we are extrapolating into the unknown.
    The more you research the carbon cycle, ocean nutrients,plankton et al, the
    more you would not like to know........sad, and scary.

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Well,-- yup that just about boils it down, Oh and every other human made disaster on the planet.

Because they are mamals seems to be a problem, why? because we think that they might be able to think? So if they couldnt think and didnt know then that would be better? How far do we go down the animal chain to find something thats easy to kill,--A fish--an ant?

Why is it so easy to kill a fly? is it because it is small? It wriggles around on the floor trying to survive with its wings buzzing--but thats funny, it makes us laugh. What is the difference?

Here in Thailand we have a member of the roach family called a Jinglee I think it is. This liitle fury thing moves ever so slowly. It sits in your hand, its head moves around and looks at you. It IS A COCKROACH. Could you kill it as it sits on your hand looking at you.

The problem here is death and the taking of a life, a life that is fighting for its survival. It is also how WE ourselves judge that animals life, and if we think that it has one.

Who throws live crabs into boiling water, Is that ok? Why because crabs arent mamals and the dont look like they are enjoying life much and dont interact with humans.

Millions of shell fish die that way every day.

Is it ok to throw petrol over a whole colony of ants and set fire to them?

At a certain time of year ( It said that) Dolphins are surounded and slaughtered in the same way we kill a cow -pig or sheep.

It looked very well organised and looked quick.

What do you want them to do lethal injection--blind fold.

Ive said it before and ille say it again --go to your local slaughter house and look at the cow as it walks up the ramp to its slaughter. Dont tell me its mood isnt different.

8. kach22i

kach22i Architect

You should know wrong when you see it.

Dang, I sound just like my father.:D

9. kach22i

kach22i Architect

UPDATE 03/29/2007

The perception (in the West) that Dolphins are special started with the ancient Greeks, and continues today. I foud this old book cover, and thought this would be a good place to post it.

http://www.multihullsmag.com/store 6.htm
    [​IMG]
    The Magic of Dolphins

by Dr. Horace Dobbs

There has existed an extra-special relationship between dolphin and man from the earliest times on.

One reason for this is the dolphin’s love of fun and companionship. They enjoy the company of humans, diving beneath people while they are swimming, riding the bow waves of boats, and even piloting them through difficult waters.

The other significant factor is the dolphin’s re*markable intelligence. Dr. Horace Dobbs describes some amazing encounters with dolphins in the wild, and demonstrates that the dolphin not only lives at peace in his habitat, but can bring happiness to humans.

Dr. Dobbs, one of Britain’s pioneers of underwater photography, founded The Oxford University Research Group in 1963. He is also founder and director of International Dolphin Watch. Although a Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine, he gave up a career in medical and veterinary research in order to devote his life to his passion for dolphins.

#309 Softcover, 6 1/2" x 8 1/2", 88pp, many color and b&w photos …$9.95...Now $5.00

10. Jellyfish50

Jellyfish50 New Member

Bad Karma

Don't need religion to become vegetarian. Just common sense. But I did it 45 yrs ago for vanity (to get rid of acne). Have not looked back since, no ill side effects. But I realise that it must have created a lot of good Karma, always been extremely lucky.

In contrast over 6 billion (with a B) animals are slaughtered every year in North America alone. Can't be good for their Karma.

Fishing and hunting is even worse as it depletes wild species, many on the brink of extinction.

Don't single out Japan, even though they seem to be among the worst offenders. Many Dolphins are killed during capture for animal entertainment venues and zoos in EU and the Americas. I'm also disgusted about fishing of large species (tuna, swordfish, shark ect) and dragging for shrimp, diving for lobster and sea urchin ect ect., long-lining, gill-netting, disposal of the 80% by-catch and other atrocities. -- No to mention whaling and seal-hunting.

11. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

are you missing the point a dolphin has a brain larger than ours, a cow gets killed knowing nothing about whats going on
    I show a cow once for meat on my farm, the other cows came and looked , quite happily, whereas dolphins cry when their kin are killed
    yes your sealers are a butcherous bunch of criminals too, CRAP? I think you are full of it How would you like a tiger to come slaughter your family?

12. longliner45

lazy jack ,,go to a slaughterhouse,,,,,,and look at the faces of cattle,,,,,,they know,,,remember this next time you pull into burgerking,,or go into a hog pen and kick a little hog around ,,and see how fast momma bites a piece of you off........or go into a chicken house and grab a chick,see what happens,,dolphins are not complete angels ,,they kill bay porpoise all the time because they compete for the same food ,,the older dolphins are called blackfish,,,,about 20 ft long ,they are smart enough to hang around fishing boats and take thier pick...usually only eating the filits of fish ,,so much for the saying that nature only kills what it will eat.,also the smily faces is not a smily face at all ,it is a pre,requeset to bite ,,they are beautifull creatures,,,,but arent all creatures beautifull?,longliner

13. longliner45

jelly,,,disposal of 80% by catch,,cmon,,get some real states,,,,,you obviosly have never been on a boat,tuna good ,,all the other stuff good to eat too.lets touch on another subject ,,,deer ,here in ohio ,,there is more deer now then when the adina indians walked this earth,,,,because now there is corn fields ,,,and open space ,,,deer need open space ,,now the first 5 rows of corn go to the deer ,deer dont plant corn ,,and if not culled they get disease,you tell me which is better ,to hunt and kill the weak ,,,,because you shure arent going to get the strong,or to let them die a miserable death or starvation,,,,,,it just kills me to hear the critisism from people like you that have never hunted or fished ,,,but prpbably ate at burgerking ,,mcdonals or fish house,,,,,,,longliner

1 person likes this.
  14. Roly

Roly Senior Member

You are wrong about that one longliner. I was bought up on a farm hunting & fishing from birth. My father taught me to kill only for food that I needed not for sport. I had landed an 8lb trout by the time I was seven. Not out of a boat either, way up the headwaters, bloody miles.I have chased the dogs after pigs further.If you can't stick it then you don't eat.That is real hunting.
    I will still kill to eat but it is with reluctance. Trout tastes like mud, and i find my once taking pleasure in the "sport" of it unreconcileable. I speared a huge 50kg king fish diving once, just pure unadulterated greed.
    I was undergeared & I missed its spine by a few cm's and it pulled me all over until the 35kg braid cut over a shelf. I watched that fish circle back with the school;It was the biggest;a dominate fish;longer than me;It trailed a crimson plume & the spear was right tru it. I was helpless to finish the job on that magnificient lifeform. I will never forget leaving that fish to its fate.
    I have never speared again.
    One of our illustrious all blacks was caught shooting seals with a shotgun for sport;fcuking cretin. He had his day in court as should all those misguided primates who think all other lifeforms are here for our sport.
    Some species are no-go, and have to be protected by international law.To think otherwise means there is no future for mankind. Respect for each other and our enviroment are not mutually exclusive.

That said, I am aware of my hypocrisy;But at least I evolved. Imo....

That still make the Japanese who slaughter dolphins butchers,the japanese/chinese who eat live monkey brains despicable,all those of "higher" intelligence who don't dispatch their prey quickly and with respect, an indictment on all of us.
    We allow it to happen.

15. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

you learnt your lesson Roly as we all do, those that dont, well just a pityful excuse for humanity

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.