DOLPHIN MASSACRE in Japan !!!

Discussion in 'Press Releases' started by brian eiland, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The japanees did not help themselves when making this film , but it wasnt them that made it. Its doubtfull that they were aware of it.

A camera in search of a good documentary can lie, different days different shots. Im not saying they did but ive seen that done before here in Thailand where the film crews pay for what they want to shoot.

Cutting the throat and bleeding the animal has been an acceptable method of killing for a long time. It is not nice at all. Take a tour round your local slaughter house. It is quite likely you will be as equally disgusted.

I did not like the film, it is awfull.

I was particulary disturbed at one Dolphin that was not panicking but had his head above the water looking at the hell going on.

When you go to your slaughter house look at the animals and talk to the slaughterers, they say the animals know.

Untill I can think of something to do, or some better way,-- I shall bury my head in the sand.

2. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

OK Hans, I looked at the video.
    It's not nice, but it's also very misleading with a mix of unpleasant pictures and the American voice telling as what we are (what we believe) seeing.
    I don't know enough about Dolphins to have a strong opinion on this.
    Of course, most of us agree with obvious truths like
    1) Kill the animals as fast as possible, with as little pain as possible
    2) Only harvest the surplus, don't "over fish"
    BUT, some of has been fishing?
    The fish continue to move long after it's dead.
    I always kill the fish with a blow to it's head with the back of the knife and then cut the throat. This is small cod for example. Is that so different? What about the millions of tons of all kinds of fish that are caught by trawlers and suffocated?
    So, please tell the Japanese that they shouldn't kill more dolphins than the natural growth, and they should kill them as quickly as possible.

3. Roly

Roly Senior Member

Eating dolphins? I would just as soon eat humans.

Tonight I am so incensed I cannot sleep. Tomorrow I will bury my head next to yours.::(

They say the animals knowwww....
    They say the animals knowwww....They say the animals knowwww....They say the animals knowwww....They say the animals knowwww....They say the animals knowwww....They say the animals knowwww....They say the animals knowwww....They say the animals knowwww....They say the animals knowwww....They say the animals knowwww....They say the animals knowwww....They say the animals knowwww....They say the animals knowwww....They say the animals knowwww....They say the animals knowwww....They say the animals knowwww....They say the animals knowwww....They say the animals knowwww....They say the animals knowwww....

4. hansp77

hansp77

Thanks for looking Ragnar.

Viewing these sort of documentary's I take more than a grain of salt, and try to do the interpretation myself.
    Interestingly the American voice is that of Joaquin Pheonix whose position on this matter (as a dedicated and sometimes out-spokend vegan) should be no surprise. However, aside from the celebrity hype BS, it does say something that he is prepared to vouch for the legitimacy of this film (something... but maybe not too much).

I also kill my fish the same as you, however I (and I assume you) actually kill the fish with the first blow (after which I cut the throat and sever the spinal cord from the brain just in case). I have a special fish 'donger' and very sharp knife for this.
    I feel bad about killing fish, I know they are intelegent, and I know looking into their eyes they (some species more than others) know exactly what is going on...
    however, dolphins for me are an entirely different matter.
    These are creatures I have grown up with, having surfed and swum with them in my youth pretty much at least every single week. I have a lot of experience with them, and to treat an animal of their immense intelegence, spirit and (often) goodwill, just makes me sick.

Like Roly, I would just as soon kill and eat a human.
    Maybe some (if I could stomach them) over others.

5. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Except for the killing methods (should be faster, less painful) and the preservation of species, I am afraid it's cultural differences in what we eat, dogs in China for example. I wouldn't like to eat any kind of dog, cat or rat, but others do. Some billion people think I am a sinner because I eat pigs and cows.

6. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Fish our Lifeless Seas

This is very true. The longliners from Japan will quickly decimate an area and then move on. I know they got a contract from Vietnam back in the 90's and I suspect that is pretty scarce fishing now....used to pull HUGH lobster out of there...I wonder now?

And how about our Grand Banks. I was in a museum in Nova Scotia last year and marveled at the Cod and Scallop fishing that once was. Look what's left!!

I have written in the past about a very dangerous sonar threat to our world's oceans, a "Texas Size Zone Kill"
    http://boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9354

And I had written something similar in a research vessel proposal, "If we permit our oceans to become a cemetery, we may damage its alter ego the atmosphere, and ultimately our planet itself."

Our oceans are a precious resource, even beyond our own imagination. We need more qualified academics in pure oceanography, in contrast to those drawn away into military weapons development or searching/developing oil resources in our seas. We need to get more kids excited about ocean studies,……initiate and perpetuate their interest.

7. kach22i

kach22i Architect

FYI; Cruelty to animals is against the law in the USA.

The laws seem to center around horses and pets, but it varies from state to state.

Click your state at the bottom once in the link;
    http://tarlton.law.utexas.edu/dawson/cruelty/cruelty.htm

More information from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruelty_to_animals

Psychological studies have shown that individuals who take pleasure in inflicting harm on animals are more likely to do so to humans.........................

Edit/Example:
    http://www.humanesocietytampa.org/education/cruelty.cfm

8. brian eiland

Ask some of our WWII Pacific veterans

9. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

People feel more attached to dolphine problem because they are mammals like us and feel great urge to eat salmon? The bredding of salmon have actually endangered the wild salmon because of the mix of two and produce a new gen of weaker species so... which is more evil? with human intervention?

10. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

brian eiland -- ( This is very true. The longliners from Japan will quickly decimate an area and then move on. I know they got a contract from Vietnam back in the 90's and I suspect that is pretty scarce fishing now....used to pull HUGH lobster out of there...I wonder )now?;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;its not the longline boats ,,its the massive perse siene boats ,that kill everything,longliners only target certain spiecis,,,dolfin dont bite anything dead or anything artificial,,and on longline boats the bycatch is used for bait,,,longliner

11. brian eiland

Sorry about that misnomer, I knew better but I think its become usual talk to refer to many of the Japanese fishing vessels as longliners.

Interesting that Dolphins are intelligent enough to skip dead and artificial bait. Their intelligence and communication abilities are one reason I have real trouble considering them as a food source. They may ultimately have many faculties developed to a greater extent than us 'humans'. I don't think we should just classify every living thing below us as a food source

12. longliner45

Im with you there,Brian ,,also dolfins can kill prey with ultrasonic sound ,,paralizing their pray ,,they spend 90 % of their time playing ..I try to live by a creed ,,change the things I can ,,,and have the wisdome to know the things I cannot change,,,I belive it is wrong to kill them ,,period ,but I am forced to look at it from a japanees fishermans point of view ,,,that has been around for centuries,,,,same as whales ,,they are intellegent also,,and blackfish,,and believe it or not ,,,sharks,,they dont get to be 200 yrs old being dumb ,,the only way I can look at it is like this ,,he has people to feed ,,it is him or the fish (,ya gotta look at it through his eyes,,,longliner)

13. Roly

Roly Senior Member

Can't agree more!

Hats off to you Brian, keep that light burning bright.

My daughter has just graduated B.Sc. (biology) and is current doing her
    masters in marine. Hopefully she will be part of the awareness process to turn things around. There are a lot of young people now that will not eat commercially caught (wild) fish, and I find that heartening.
    As an aside, I have warned Asians in this country of our fishing laws because of their absolute indiscrimination of catch, in terms of sze,species & quantity.
    They scrape the rocks bare! If its there , take it is their attitude.

14. longliner45

of the young people who wont eat commercially caught fish,how many are parked at mcdonalds tonight? its ok to eat wild fish and farm raised fish,longliner

1 person likes this.

15. Roly

Roly Senior Member

The point they are trying to make is that current commercial fishing is not sustainable, therefore they will not support it. Commercial fishermen should support lower quotas if they want their industry to survive.
    Territorial waters,and the protection they bring, should be increased in size and an international management
    plan introduced, or our oceans are doomed.

Good point, longliner! But at least they are aware enough to avoid the "fillet of fishburger" which tastes like crap anyway.Whose perfect? Better than stickin your head in the sand.
    After the "no-mould" thing happened a few years back most everyone gave up their mac fests.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.