Dogs on boats, and our best Friends in general.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by apex1, Jan 29, 2010.

1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Screenshot_20200420-095550.png He still likes the ride.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  2. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

I don't know if anyone wondered about my avatar. We lost our beautiful 7 year old standard poodle Stella to canine multicentric lymphoma on March 19. I realized that dogs developed cancers and tumors but I didn't realize that they could get blood cancer. This cancer is just about identical to non-hodgkins lymphoma in people. I'm grateful that we were able to have her treated (chemotherapy) and extended her life by over 500 days. Sadly, you can slow cancer down but you can't stop it. Believe it or not she had great quality of life right up to the end but the cancer was progressing and we had to help her move on before she began to suffer. That was the hardest part of all, putting a dog down that was still on her feet, wagging her tail and greeting the vet at the door. That vet would take her life 20 minutes later. So this is my memorial to a great dog. A canine good citizen, a registered therapy dog who worked with the elderly and children. For everyone who's ever loved a dog and had to say goodbye, I understand how you feel. This one was tough.

029.JPG

3. hoytedow

I am sorry for your loss. Could she have gotten into any weed killer?

4. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

Thanks hoytedow. We don't use weed killer. I do fertilize during the summer months but we're careful about keeping the dogs off the grass until it rains. We've had dogs for decades and this was the first time we ever had any issues. We learned a lot going through this long process. I never knew that 1/3 of dogs develop some type of cancer in their lifetimes. Some tumors can be removed. Some cancers are slow growing. Lymphoma, a blood cancer, is not curable although it can be treated and the cancer slowed. Without treatment, a dog that develops multicentric lymphoma has a life expectancy of 2 to 4 weeks from the time it is diagnosed. Canine oncologists (I never knew they existed until 2018) don't understand why these cancers develop. There are some environmental theories but no definite link can be established. There are some genetic theories. But the vets have been unable to pin down what gene(s) might play a role and why. In the end, we figured that it was simply bad luck. We'll never know. I'm just grateful for what we had even though it was for a relatively short time. I'm grateful that I could have her treated and that we extended her life.

5. hoytedow

Parting is such sweet sorrow.