doghouse

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by raymond, Nov 28, 2005.

1. raymond

raymond Junior Member

Dear all ,

Does any know about doghouse meaning?

Thanks
    :confused:
    Raymond

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

'Tis another name for the wheelhouse on a small boat when thats all it's big enough for - a dog! Box with windows and the wheel/controls maybe a single seat, nothing else!

3. Robjl

Robjl Senior Member

maritime terminology ...

I heard somewhere, (deep in the recesses of memory now) that it related to the "dog watch" i.e. the person on watch in the early hours of the morning.
    Dog house = place for the dog watch??
    Any-one else heard this?

4. Robjl

Robjl Senior Member

Used the "Dictionary for Yachtsmen"

I was almost right....Dog Watches. "The period from 4pm to 8pm is split into two 2 hour watches, called the first and last dog (some call them first and second); this is done to make an odd number of watches daily, thus ensuring that whether a crew works in two, three, or four watches, no man will have the same watch the following day."
    My mate tells me the Dog watch missed out on tea, I've always thought of it as the undesirable watch in the early hours...
    The Doghouse. "A raised protective covering abaft the cabin in a small boat, for the steering position and all round visability."
    Reference: "A Dictionary for Yachtsmen" by Francis H Burgess 1974
    Just for interest I found that " a period of duty at the helm is called a "trick"....you learn something ever day.. I thought a trick was something else!
    Cheers

5. raymond

raymond Junior Member

Thanks all of you. You really have the sense of humous. The research is great.
    :)

6. safewalrus

Ah but Robjl the person who works that kind of trick is usually a dog - kinda fits doesn't it? Incidentally dog watches are in the evening and real sailors (Merchant type and fishermen) don't work them tis for puffy matelots and yotties who can't get by with out a full night in their bunks! That'ly get em going!:D

7. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

The area I boat in. If some one says, "It is under the doghouse." They mean. Lift the engine cover over the engine mounted above the maindeck. It started with old wooden runabouts and their engine cover boxes.-------------Brain dead. ----------Plural is, doghouses, for a twin engine. Doghouse is a faster way of describing the engine box.

8. geo6246

geo6246 Junior Member

Also used to describe the extended area or intigrated bracket on an outboard hull. during tooling stage it looks just like a "doghouse"

9. boltonprofiles

boltonprofiles Senior Member

The doghouse is what I am always in according to my wife................

10. safewalrus

Sorry Bolton' different 'doghouse' but I know what you mean:D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.