Doesn't anyone have an opinion about Dolphin D25 Fisher??

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by andrewallan, Feb 4, 2010.

1. andrewallan

andrewallan New Member

Hey guys - I really need some input, and am amazed that no-one has any about my recent query:confused: .

It related to a boat referred to as a Dolphin D25 fisher, which is listed under www.dolphinboatplans.com, where there is some blurb about making it (stitch and glue) and some piccies are at http://www.dolphinboatplans.com/dolphinboatplans/dolphin25photos.html.

Being completely inexperienced at boat design I need some thoughts about whether this looks to be a "goer" or whether I'd be better spending my money and time on another boat - eg bowdidge marine designs "cruise control 5.2", or ??possibly the CS-20 at boatdesigns.com. I've recently made a 14' stitch and glue dinghy, which runs OK in smoother water with a 5HP, but doesn't plane (nor was it ever designed to), and the relatively straight sides at the bow look to need some flare to stop spray coming around the front and drenching me..........and, I'd now like to make a "Real" ~20' power boat for fishing/day trips with a 60HP+ motor

2. Joe Petrich

Joe Petrich Designer

Check out www.bateau.com. The designs there look very good to me. They'll even supply pre cut kits if you want.

3. mark775

mark775 Guest

Andre, beauty is in the eye of the beholder - it's not so much that but, IMO, the boat looks like it has taken some meandering, convoluted path to get to its current stage in evolution. So? Everything has but some things cry out that they have not arrived at their destination.
    imagesCAF2DLJT.jpg IMAG004.jpg
    Specifically, there should be some means to keep water out of the cabin and freeing ports to drain the back deck when it gets pooped if it will see big water. Is there an over-riding reason for that low freeboard - wrestling crocs or something? It has a flat bottom, it seems, great for efficiency on plane and gunkholing, not much of anything else. The cabin is small enough to be considered useless so why bother? Have a little deck forward so you can keep your lunch dry and call it good. I feel outboard brackets render a back deck near-useless - What would you do with the boat? Not fish effectively with that contraption in the way.
    In short, I think if you spend a few moments searching, you may find something else you like even more than the Dolphin D25 fisher. I am not schooled in design but have spent some fair amount of time around boats. What it always seems to come back to is "What looks right usually is right (and vice versa)"

4. mark775

mark775 Guest

Yes, find something like what Joe posted in Australia... That 25 cuddy is sharp and has enough cabin that you can overnight...

5. andrewallan

andrewallan New Member

Thx guys

Mark, I agree that it is ugly (which I presume is what you are saying!), and to that effect I was interested mainly in the hull design, as my intention would have been to try to change the sheer line and enlarge the cabin, however I do take your point, and I shouldn't even think about modifying a plan - there should be something out there that suits. Sometimes finding it is difficult.

Thanks Joe, looking briefly at the Bateau boats, the pilot 21 looks very much more aesthetic, and better than the Bowdidge boat I looked at. I'll look at the plans.