Does I need to plane wood?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by jfblouin, Jun 5, 2005.

1. jfblouin

jfblouin Senior Member

I'm building a 6,80m (22.3 feet) sportboat with cedar, epoxy and fiberglass.

I use cedar plank cut with a portable band saw mills. The cut is not so rough.

Can I use thoses planks without planing and add fiberglass with epoxy on that? Does I need to plane this wood?

2. Michael Chudy

Michael Chudy Yacht Designer

Contact Tom MacNaughton at Macnaughton Yacht Designs and order the booklet on Sheathed Strip Construction. Here is the web site:

www.macnaughtongroup.com

You do not want to plane the wood. Also, you want to use all square strips so you can lay them with the end grain showing.

3. nero

nero Senior Member

You can plane the wood. You will need to form it with a sander with 60 grit afterwards. Bandsawn lumber is great. but it will take a lot more epoxy to wet out. Sometimes there is paste wax rubbed on the planer tables. Get rid of it!

Make a test pannel. beat on it, break it.

The end grain will not show. The quarter grain will.

Tom MacNaughton is a honest sincere man give him a call or email him after you surf his site.

have fun