Does anyone want Rhino on Mac / Linux?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tim B, Jun 3, 2006.

?

Should Rhino be ported to MacOS / Linux? (50 Day Poll)

Poll closed Jul 23, 2006.
  1. No, it should stay on MS Windows

7.4%
  2. Yes! Port it to Linux

33.3%
  3. Yes! Port it to Mac OS

14.8%
  4. Yes! Port it to both

18.5%
  5. Don't really care

25.9%
  1. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Yes, please!

Decent CAD programmes for macs are as far between as swimsuits in greenland.

:)

2. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Just to show that I am an informed Linuxite, I have managed to download a Beta2 version of Windows Vista. It's still a pain to have CAD and Reasearch on different OSes, but the download is free, so perhaps it's a solution. It will be next week before I can try it, but I will post a full report when I've had time to look at it. If it will run Rhino stably it is at least a free solution.

The Only problem I foresee with Windows Vista (except the blindingly obvious) is the minimum spec. For the basic version - 800 MHz PC with 512MB Ram... Premium - 1.5GHz (I think) CPU with 1GB Ram. Both require about 15GB of Disk Space.

Most Linux users will be familiar with large root (system) partitions of 20GB, but these are rarely filled past 8GB. Ram Requirements are more like 300MB.

It sounds to me like the microsoft boys have a pretty big bit of software. It will be interesting to see if it stands up to the Linux assault. Don't forget that there will be several Linux releases before Vista hits the shelf.

KDE 3.5.3 is already available and looks like a hell of a GUI

Tim B.

3. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

If it overcomes the 2 GB / process limitation of the 32-bit windows I'll be happy. I'd love to have a system that could fully utilize 16 GB of memory in a workstation configuration :D

4. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Linux will happily access as much memory as you like. However, only Rhino v 1+2 have been made to run. Vista may be able to access more but it is unlikely to be 16GB. That said I only know what little I have read on the subject. Since I'm looking at doing CFD jobs in Linux on multiple standard x86 (2.5GHz,2GB) platforms, it makes little difference.

Cheers,

Tim B.

5. Kiteship

Kiteship Senior Member

It is the same with MacSurf--now MaxSurf. Used to be the best NA design software on the market--and was Mac only. Now is Win only (stopped Mac development 2 years ago), and just one of the pile. (Still very good, just no longer Best). It took me 15 minutes to design my first boat hull with MacSurf; now??

Dave

6. ludesign

ludesign Senior Member

Not quite true. A search on Apple's Made4Mac indicated about 100 programs.

7. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

decent

Where there and decent programs among them?

8. ludesign

ludesign Senior Member

http://guide.apple.com/index.lasso

The database contains 23.000 programs. Not as many as Windows, I agree, but on the other hand, how many of us do actually install that many programs anyway?

The question is simply not how many programs there are, it is how many you actually want to USE yourself.

9. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

CAD for mac

Dear Claes,

Before we go into the classic Mac vs Windows debate i have to tell you i was responsible for the computer systems for several design and engineering companies for more than 10 years. Result is i now hate both. Two of the companies i worked for used Mac and Windows computers in the same network (was not my idea would NEVER recommend it). The sole reason they used both systems was that there is no decent CAD software for a mac on a professional level.

Jeroen

10. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

question

If you are a serious boat designer and have to make a choise for a operating system you are condemned to windows.

11. ludesign

ludesign Senior Member

So, apparently I'm not a serious boat designer even though I have designed over 70 realized projects, all done on Macs.:rolleyes:

12. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Choise

I'd just say you could have made a better choise.

13. ludesign

ludesign Senior Member

Let's agree to disagree.

14. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Agreed

The world would not be a more nice place to live in if we all had the same boat.

(edit)
    No offence but you could have told before you are supplier of CAD software for mac.

15. Kiteship

Kiteship Senior Member

I'm with Claes. Yes, there are some specialized programs unavailable on the Mac. And, yes, some of these are "industry standards." However, the attraction of the Mac OS has always been, for right-brained "designers," that the operation system is more, well, transparent than others. One works with one's data, one doesn't work with one's computer. (The whole success of iPod can be summed up similarly; one listens to one's music; not to one's mp3 player)

As to quality; leaving the excellent TouchCad aside, Maya, on the Mac, is an industry standard. Interestingly it makes its way--via Macs--into most PC and game console games. As is FormZ (I don't use FormZ, but a professional friend of mine tells me it runs circles around Rhino). Both Photoshop and Illustrator were developed--and remain--on the Mac (as were both Word and Excel). Final Cut Pro revolutionized the way television news run their businesses, just within the past few years. iPhoto, iMovie and iTunes have altered the very way ordinary people buy and use home computers--think of it; software driving user experiences; not the converse. There are *numerous* knock-offs of each of these applications, attempting to provide their functionality on various other OS's. I'm often reminded of the corrolary to McNeel's advice--how hard is it to just buy a Mac? Certainly not cost; a Mac Mini is less than the retail price of Rhino; refurbs approach 50% of that.

No, I'm not trying to start the Mac/everyone else "debate;" but rather to point out that it is always quality of software, not quantity, which is important. You can--and will--work on whatever platform you wish. Isn't it a wonderful world which allows you to do so?

Dave

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.