Does anyone know anything about Blackfin Marine International?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by sportfisher, Aug 4, 2007.

1. sportfisher

sportfisher Junior Member

I am in the market for a new rough water center console in the 27' to 29' range. I stumbled upon the new Blackfin, Topline 27. There is very limited information about this boat or company and no advertising. They are using the old Blackfin reputation, claiming Blackfin has been making quality boats since the 70's.

I know Blackfin Yachts was a well known and respected boat builder back in the 70's until finally declaring bankruptcy in 1997. I believe they built sport fishing boats with a similar design to Bertram. I think the president of Blackfin now builds Jupiter boats.

Does this new Blackfin Company have any relation to the original one?
    Did they buy the old molds and modify them?
    Did they just buy the rights to the name?
    Do the people who bought them have any credentials?

2. driftwayboats

driftwayboats New Member

what would you like to know about them
    They have no relationship to the old co
    they own the right to the name but they also own and hove most of the molds
    michael

3. sportfisher

Driftwayboats - Thanks for the info. I actually went down to Miami to visit the factory. At the time they were making the mold for the new 34' center console. The owners gave me a tour of the facilities and answered any question I had. I test drove the 27' center console. Besides looking great, the boat is solid and handled beautifully. Unfortunately it was very calm that day, so I could only wonder how it would ride in the rough water.
    Have you seen the 27'? Have you taken it for a ride? If so what did you think?
    And, how do you think it compares to the other semi-custom center consoles?
    (Contenders, Regulators, Jupiters, etc...)

4. driftwayboats

driftwayboats New Member

at the lauderdale boatshow last year i rode the 27 in not so calm water it went well. very quick. i thing they are getting there, not quite there yet
    ive been to factory also they seem to know what they are doing.
    best
    michael

5. sportfisher

Thanks Mike. I felt the quality of the hull and the rigging are excellent, it's just missing some of the bells and whistles of the big names. The price is attractive, if I could sell my boat I'm going to seriously consider it!
    -Joe

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.