does any one have any designs for a dingy sailor

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by djsammy, Jun 21, 2007.

1. djsammy

djsammy New Member

Hey every one my brother and i have decided to build a small dingy sailor mainly because we don't have much for a new boat or a second hand one either. does any one have any good designs if so thanks

2. gggGuest

gggGuest ...

What sort of dinghy? Racing sail boat or what?

3. SAQuestor

SAQuestor Senior Member

Small boating's good friend Chuck at Duckworks has a very comprehensive index. Check it out as you will probably find something that you like.

Leo

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Sammy;
    There are only a few reasons for building a dinghy. Saving money is not one of them. If you search you can almost surely find a used dink that will cost less than the one you might build. I recently saw about 8 small boats at a sailing club that were to be sold. They were Lasers and Sunfish. All of them sold for $25 US. You may not be able to find such a bargain but surely there are some of them that will cost a modest sum and less than the cost of building.

I do not accept my own good counsel, so I build boats for fun. Rebuilding is also an option. I converted a derelict Thistle class 17 footer A while back. I bought the boat for $75. after spending a small fortune in materials ( about $1200) I had a serviceable boat. The thing is, I could have bought a perfectly acceptable Thistle for less than the total I had spent. Of course I had had plenty of fun doing the rebuild. Not to mention skinned knuckles and threats of divorce.

5. frosh

frosh Senior Member

Mess. is 100% right. Building your own boat and getting a cheap boat are mutually exclusive in almost every case. The former is for pure satisfaction, and latter is to get on the water quickly for a bargain price as there are so many used dinghys out there, begging for a new home.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.