glen-l bandido, any body else building one???

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by milfordadkins, Aug 24, 2013.

1. milfordadkins

milfordadkins Junior Member

i just bought plans and will start in dec when i get home from afghanistan, was hoping someone else was building one also on here...i am powering it with twin 165 mercs with fuel injection upgrades and about 200hp each...

1 person likes this.
  2. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Gratz on coming home, and good luck with your build. It's a fairly ambitious one; do you have prior building experience? Are you going to do a wood version, or a fiberglass one?

http://www.glen-l.com/designs/inboard/bandido.html

Attached Files:

3. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Oops... forgot the best picture.

Attached Files:

4. milfordadkins

i built a wood sharpie years ago, so i kinda know what to do. and it will be wood, (got 32' cruise missile plans also, long long term project in foam core)... yeah it should look sweet with twin stern drives poking through the transom, and 400hp in her...still havent got a name or final color picked out though...

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Good luck for that project. It is an expensive and ambitious build. go for it.

6. milfordadkins

so was wondering what if any effect adding a full roof to top of pilot area would have on this desighn? like a fiberglass top.

7. Petros

Petros Senior Member

That has likely been done, I doubt it will have any detrimental effect except perhaps for windage when in a heavy cross wind. Of course a rounded stream-lined design might actually reduced the effects of cross winds.

You might consider a well designed fabric top, or a removable hard top, that can be removed or stowed. That way you will not affect the value of the design, and perhaps even enhance the desirability. When you make permanent alterations to a classic design, you will reduced its desirably on the secondary market. Maybe not your primary concern right now, but there will come a time eventually you will want to sell it. With a removable top, you have not harmed the value of your considerable investment in time and money.

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Several of these have been built and they do get up and scoot with some power. I've seen a few examples of them with various power setups. Your twin 200 HP arrangement will get you in the upper 50's (MPH) bracket, which is about as fast as you want to practically run these. Once you start pushing them faster than this, interesting other issues crop up.

A full roof, hardtop or pilothouse on this hull will dramatically affect high speed handling, so speeds should be reduced to the upper 40's (max), so you don't beat the crap out of things. In this regard, you can save some money, fuel and effort by just using stock 150's.

This hull is designed to do one thing well and though you can make adjustments and modifications, you'll have to kiss off other elements of the design to have them.

9. milfordadkins

thanks for the input, cant afford another set of motors... so 150's are out. didnt think a low profile fiberglass top would affect it that much... was thinking one like the offshore racers only not the whole pilot area, just long enough to keep most of the rain off.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.