Do you recognise her ???

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Bidule P.Q., Nov 29, 2004.

1. Bidule P.Q.

Bidule P.Q. Neophyt sailor

Attached Files:

2. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

M Gilles/Dutch Boat

C'est un vrai bateau Hollandais! Yes, it looks like an old WIBO design, one like I used to have when I was 19.
    What would you like to have? I know the builder/designer company so I might get some copies of the plans. If not, there are some around so I can give you the required particulars. It's a very simple boat with reasonable capacities, not for open sea!

3. Bidule P.Q.

Bidule P.Q. Neophyt sailor

Bateau Hollandais...

I have bought her as is, but a hull. There is half the work left to do or already done (depends on you).
    I am a neophyt sailor so I wont, let's say eye ball what must be done. I have bought a pile of books but I also know the more books you read the stupider you get. I am a retired toolmaker so I like to follow complexe plans and make things work true.
    Please give me the designer/builder's info. and I will ask you no more.
    Thanks a million D'ARTOIS.

Gilles Pariseau

4. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Gilles Pariseau/Casco

OK, I got your message, tomorrow I contact the company for further details. Probably I can get copies of the building plans, if not, I'll make some pictures of existing ones. There are still many of them around. My "WIBO" used to have a wooden mast and boom, and I used a Seagull 5 hp outboard for auxiliary power.
    Now that was underpowered, so you have to check for alt least a 7 to 10 hp
    diesel if you have the skill to buid it in, otherwise you may use an outboard.
    If you require any other info, I will gladly help you.
    Kind Regards
    Brien Gilroy D'Artois, International Marine Technologies
    dartois@xs4all.nl

5. Brad Kelneck

Brad Kelneck Junior Member

I believe the boat is an HO28 and they were built in steel in the early to mid 70's in Hamilton, Ontario. There are a number of completed boats out there.

6. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

Why not D'Artois? It looks like it has a lot of rocker. That's good for rough water, isn't it? Just wondering.

7. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

If you look at the insides of the boat - that will answer your question Skippy; however with a few additional reinforcements, you could do.
    Another point is that I make often the mistake to compare your sailing areas with our messy and most of the times turbulent North-Sea.
    In Holland, we had a beautiful summer once. I anchored the boat about 600 yards out the beach. Midnight I woke up by the boat rocking like a rodeo-horse
    on its anchorline.
    I lay amidst the breakers, outside gale 8, could just start engine, cut the anchorline and motor out of the danger-zone. That is the Northsea.

It doesn't sound strange to me that the Wibo, or it's design, were to be found also in Canada. So many Dutch people living in Canada with their Dutch roots still firmly attached - it is definately not an American or native Canadian design, it has the Dutch trademarks all over and actually the only Dutch steelboat buildt in large numbers was the '60s - '70s and '80s very popular Wibo-class.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.