Do you like frosting?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by CatBuilder, Dec 15, 2010.

1. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Hey Boston... I'll answer down inline in your post in red.

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

thanks

now to go back and read through again so I know I got it this time

cheers

3. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Great thread! If not for Catbuilders incessant questioning, the issue will not be resolved. Even Rulebooks are in conflict with each other. Take a look at this.

DNV
    Core materials with open cells in the surface, should
    normally be impregnated with resin before it is applied to a wet
    laminate or before lamination on the core is commenced.

LR
    Additional flow coating is not to be applied in the foam core prior to laminating.

But Rulebooks are not inflexible. They ask for test if method deviates from the instructions, in this case interlaminar shear.

Which is what Catbuilder is methodically doing. He ask the right question and we learn from it. This is what boatbuilding is about.

4. AndrewK

AndrewK Senior Member

One layer will have pinholes, but this is not an issue with your inner laminate. You will not have water in your bilges.

When laminating you deal with the weave straight away not after the resin has sett.
    You either use peel ply or trowel on a soft bog, like your frosting.

A lot of builders avoid peel ply regarding it as an additional cost. I dont think this is true if you take into account of the cost of additional resin and balloons plus the cost of sandpaper and your time for later on preparation peel ply is a winner.

Peel ply will also reduce pin holes and greatly reduce your resin run out as well, even with your build the deck part will be vertical as well as some of the bilge.

Another option to reduce the trapped air between the warp tow is to lay it so the +/-45 fiber is on the foam and the 0 deg fiber with the large gaps is on top. Check with Kurt that he is fine with this orientation.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.