Do I need to glass the entire bottom?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by ben2go, Aug 12, 2008.

1. ben2go

ben2go Boat Builder Wanna Be

I am building a plywood Jon boat.Should I glass the bottom outside of the hull?It's going to be coated in a thick epoxy paint and the seams are going to be taped and epoxied.The interior structures will be taped and epoxied.No fasteners are being used in the boat.I am preparing a list and quanities to place an order.What places could I check locally for glass and epoxy?My local boat dealers don't deal with composites.I really hate to order.Shipping is crazy expensive like most things in the US.

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

if you glass the bottom,, you'll get more "wear and tear" out of it,,,especially in places where your gonna be riding rocks or "shoring" it alot.

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

It's your choice. It all depends on finances. Glassing the bottom completely will cost a lot more, but as Jim said, it really protects the bottom from gouging and scrapes.
    That said, it isn't necessary to skin it at all---- not for strength nor waterproofing, so long as the paint is kept up. Frankly, in my opinion, a lot of boats are way overdone for what they return in service, and just taping the seams is good common sense.
    Bear in mind, down the road you could strip the boat and glass it then if so inclined.

Alan