Do I Need this Scupper Cover? Can I move It

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Dillusion, Oct 28, 2022.

1. Dillusion

Dillusion Junior Member

Boat is self bailing but scuppers are on the hull sides. Feel always get wet and little annoying.

Guess first do I even need this cover?
    Can i put one of those rectangular flappers?

I have a splash well across the whole transom. Can I fill this in and drain my deck into the splash well instead? The drain would be well above the waterline.

Also want to move my bilge pump so it discharges in the splash well also if its ok. Right now in rough water the thru hull goes under water once in a while.

Attached Files:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If your deck is above the splash well it should not be a problem as long as you enlarge the drains. The area of the new drains should be added to the existing ones. Bilge pumps must drain directly outside the hull. Otherwise a clogged drain could make the bilge pump exhaust water flow back in.

3. Dillusion

Dillusion Junior Member

Splash well is about 6 to 8" below deck but I'm not so sure I want to into the transom to add more drains there. Only has the 2 1" drains there now.

Gonna have to think this one over if I really want to cut or not.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.