Do I have a problem??

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by hiracer, Aug 23, 2006.

1. hiracer

hiracer Senior Member

BTY, I learned to sail on a Sunfish at age 15 on a hot Kentucky lake. It was pretty boring until a thunderstorm came by. My brother and I had a blast capsizing a gazillion times before we figured out what we were doing. We finally got her on a beam reach and screamed for an eternity. After a while the wind died, and we spent many hours swimming that Sunfish back to the campground.

I've loved sailing ever since, but I will confess that dinghy sailing seems a bit less expensive.

2. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Sometimes it seems the simpler the boat, the purer the pleasure. Puts me in mind of Water Rat in the Wind in the Willows (paraphrased slightly), "There is nothing, absolutley nothing half as much fun as simply messing about in boats". I have always liked that quote.

Of course the small simple boats, as we have been speaking of, are not going to get most of us to the places we want to go. A nice small sailing tender/ dinghy would go a long way to meeting the simple "needs" though while living and cruising on a larger boat.

Even with larger vessels I like the K.I.S.S. approach. Steel vessels are more able in many ways to incorperate simple strong systems than others I feel.

Take care.

TGoz