Big sailing CAT

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Titirangi, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Titirangi

Titirangi Previous Member

Could forum members please recommend or suggest any designers with a portfolio of successful 20m to 30m aluminium sailing/blue water cruise multihull/CAT designs

Thanks

2. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Prior success not indicate future victory ....

Is this for pleasure? Rental? Ferry? Fishing?

2 crew? or 8 crew?

Powered? Sailed? At those lengths there are fewer sailers and more motor/sailers.

Riding true blue water? Or riding coastal waters? Or, riding the docks?

Any reason why you have a 30 foot (10m or 30%) difference in what you are looking for?

wayne

3. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Titirangi, I doubt you'll find such a portfolio. Contact the known multihull designers and ask for advice. A 20M to 30M aluminum catamaran or trimaran is a really big boat--very expensive, and very rare. You might find the odd one or two, but you will likely not find a portfolio, let alone a portfolio of successful designs. By the time you get to that size, most designs will be pretty successful because of the thought that went into creating them. Personally, I can't think of a single design or designer that has designed such a craft. In composite, yes, in aluminum, no.

Good luck in your search. Go ahead and contact the best known multihull designers for advice.

Eric

4. Alik

Alik Senior Member

5. Titirangi

Titirangi Previous Member

Maybe I should have said designed big aluminium CATs that haven't suffered structural failure or skin fractures. I have surveyed a few aluminium power CAT in 20m-30m (commercial operators) range that had hull issues.

We looked at several big composite multihulls, heard a few stories about hull structural issues that developed with big composite CATs the cause not fully identified or resolved so the decision was made to stay with aluminium.

There are quite a few stock designs for 20m -30m composite CAT, I hope to find a designer that has built a big aluminium sail CAT that has resolved issues.
    The yacht is intended for island cruising charter & dive but in a region renown for sudden weather changes.

6. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Lock Crowther did a number of large aluminium charter cats for the Australian market in the 1970-80's. So I suggest searching online for them

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.