Do backyard boatbuilders need to put a HIN on our boat?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Vineet, Nov 2, 2022.

1. Vineet

Vineet Junior Member

Hey all,
    I live in the Oregon, U.S. and I was wondering if backyard boatbuilders need to put a HIN on our boats. I am building a 14' rowboat with no motor. Any tips on places to get more information if you don't know the answer?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you need to register your boat, they will assign you an HIN.

3. Vineet

Vineet Junior Member

thank you Gonzo. Human powered boats are not required to register in Oregon. :)

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

The reason for placing an HIN is so that if the boat is stolen; you can lay a claim to it. Possession is 9/10ths of the law, the HIN is 1/10th.

Typically, the HIN is put in one or two places and permanently. As a home builder, you can hide on of the numbers. That way, if the boat ends up stolen; you know a hidden location of the number.

5. tpenfield

tpenfield Senior Member

Each state now has an MIC code, which is the prefix on the 12-digit HIN. There is probably an inspection process and the state will assign your boat a HIN. For Oregon the MIC prefix is "ORZ"

6. Ike

Ike Senior Member

All recreational boats, including backyard built boats are required to have an HIN. As the above have said the office that registers boats can assign a HIN to your boat. They don't necessarily have to register it. I believe they have a form for that where you swear that you built the boat. Keep your receipts for materials because they may want to see them. I know in Washington sate they did for the DIY boats I built. see https://www.oregon.gov/osmb/forms-library/Documents/Title Registration/HomebuiltBoatCertificate.pdf

7. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Tpenfield. Actually we (the Coast Guard) assigned the states MICs back in the 70's. But a lot of the states weren't using it. Of course the states that collect tax on your boat did. In the mid 2000's (after I retired) the Coast Guard changed the rules and now all states and territories are required by Federal Regulation to assign HIN's to recreational boats that don't have them. Doesn't matter how old they are or who built them. I have a state HIN on my 1972 Sea Ray, because Sea Ray didn't start putting them on until the 73 model year.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.