DIY safety harness

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by peterchech, Aug 30, 2011.

1. peterchech

peterchech Senior Member

I want to buy some professional jacklines and harnesses for my boat. But I can't exactly afford the outlay of at least $56 per harness and $70 for one jackline at the moment (I just ordered new line and have to wait a while for more such "investments").

When I was rock climbing with the boy scouts, we often made our own harnesses (ie "swiss seat") out of excess rope. In a true emergency, even a double bowline could be used.

Has anyone made a temporary harness from excess line, or excess webbing? Not something for crossing oceans with, but something that will work till I get some dinero together to buy the real thing?

Any thoughts on using excess 1/4 inch double braid as a jackline?

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Whats a jack line ? The line running forward and aft that you clip into ? Dont use any round line...it will roll underfoot...use flat webbing

3. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Yes, flat webbing, and make your harness of the same.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.