diy resin trap

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by sunbelt57, Oct 26, 2011.

1. sunbelt57

sunbelt57 Junior Member

Has anyone ever made a resin trap out of a short length of 3" or 4" PVC? You would just have to get the caps to fit either end and find a way to make 2 connections to the top for the inlet and outlet and then coat the inside with PVA so you could use it again. It would have to be big enough to contain all the resin used in the project to prevent overfilling. You would have to use a large clamp to keep the caps tight because you couldn't glue them on unless you were only going to use it once. That's what I'm thinking anyway.

2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

That's my resin trap. Full length 4" pvc pipe, cut in half so they are 6' sections. Fit hose barbs to the top cap. Seal it all up and throw it out when it's full. Not worth the time and expense to empty it.

3. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Also, after making both "halves" from a full length, be sure to hook them up in *series* in your vacuum line. This way, if one of them fills up during an infusion, you are still protected from resin going to your vacuum pump.

4. jim lee

jim lee Senior Member

Same here but.. We built it so a dump gun cup fits inside. When it fills up we can pull off the top and swap out the paper cup. 2 square ends of plastic with a section of PVC in the middle. All thread rod and nuts on the corners. Seal with bag tape.

Typically if you don't have leaks in your vacuum bag you won't be feeding resin into your cup.

-jim lee

1 person likes this.
  5. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

You can just see mine in the background. The trap is PVC with a cleanout on the bottom. Coated inside with vaseline. The second (black) is ABS and just a reservoir. In a dozen or so infusions I haven't gotten more than a drop in my trap. I shut off the supply lines when about 3/4 infused.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

6. Herman

Herman Senior Member

PVC pipe, screw-on lids, and Pringles packaging.

Or Aluminium cooking pan, Acrylic lid, and a gasket