DIY Painting boat names and graphics on hulls and sails

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by BOATMIK, Mar 19, 2008.

1. BOATMIK

BOATMIK Deeply flawed human being

Howdy All.

Painting boat names and graphics on hulls and sails

[​IMG]

The method requires
    computer and printer (no special software - any graphics or word processing program will do it)
    a sharp knife
    some spray adhesive (use the right way)
    a scrap of fine sandpaper
    a can of spray paint
    and a spare half hour.

A friend has put up a page with text and pictures showing how.
    DIY signwriting and boat names

It is not anything new, but is a nice photoessay and description of how to do it. Hope it helps someone.

BTW I don't quite trust or mandate the secondary promise in his byline!

Best wishes
    Boatmik

2. BOATMIK

BOATMIK Deeply flawed human being

[​IMG]

This question came up on the PDRacer forum ....

Most of the quality spray contacts are VERY permanent, which is why you want to use them! I think mine is 3M brand at the moment.

The secret is to use a light dusting and wait till it's barely tacky. Oh and ONLY DUST ONE SURFACE!

(If you want to permanently stick stuff, wait till it is completely to touch and to it to both surfaces)

Try it on a test piece first. Once you've used it on Mylar, you can get a couple of "sticks" out of the one spraying.

Cheers,

P

Best wishes
    MIK

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.