diy kayak outfitted for fishing?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jason41987, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

The great auk is a substantial kayak. It offers great speed and load carrying capacity to strong paddlers -but I didn't see anywhere in your description that you are a strong paddler or intended to cover great distances at ~4+knots. Did you know that at 4lbs avg. thrust that a beginner might be capable of a 14ft kayak will go faster than an 18ft? You might appreciate the maneuverability of a shorter kayak for fishing as well. Another thing I think you don't appreciate is the hassle of handling a 20ft piece of fine furniture. I have a CLC Pax 20 -I use it for exercise, that's it. I would suggest you build a CLC wood duck double (it's more of a stable single).

If you want a big beautiful kayak, that's great. But if you don't have experience with kayaks I think you could use some education. Check out

http://www.blueheronkayaks.com/kayak/index.html

He has some software that shows the stability and drag of various designs at different loadings.

2. jason41987

jason41987 Junior Member

ive already decided against the possibility of the livewell due to that. i intend to just add a hook or ring to attach a stringer to

and skyak, ill mostly be on large open lakes, a lot.. so ill be covering large distances.. and i love the added weight that high capacity great auk offers.. i dont need to get out there fast at first, i care more about its carrying capacity for gear than speed

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.