Paint Question

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by LQT420, Apr 21, 2007.

1. LQT420

LQT420 Junior Member

Has anyone ever used Interlux Perfection? How does it compare to paints like Sterling or Awlgrip in terms of toughness / scratch resstance? Any advice or comments are much appreciated.

2. phildan

phildan Phildan boat restoration

Philippe

I will love you to try & let me know!

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

The stuff's pretty new. It didn't exist last time I painted a boat (~'01) and so I doubt there's much anecdotal data about its long-term durability yet. You might be able to get some quantitative data from Interlux, they're known for having a very meticulous testing/verification department. They claim it was designed with high durability as a priority though, http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa//general/perfection/pdf/brochure.pdf , if you can trust the marketing hype.

4. mastcolin

mastcolin Senior Member

Most of the high quality 2pack PU paints are very very similar for hardness/scratch resistance. Not surprising given they are based on the same 2 major resins. I worked for 8 years in labs for International and did a lot of the work myself so I'm speaking from experience.

But don't get carried away by one single aspect of a paint. There are many other factors to consider eg how easy is it to apply? If you have to thin it so much to get a good finish, it will be low fim thickness so it probabaly won't last as long. How are you applying it? Spray? Brush? In a warm shed or outside in Spring etc etc. What colour? Cost??

2 pack PU's are very strange due to fact that the curing agent component reacts with moisture in air as well as the base component. Humidity can affect the final coating altering hardness/gloss retention.

It is a little like trying to argue over whether BMW is better than Lexus. Awlgrip is class leader but this isn't reflected in any test data, where it scores on every test in a ballpark with its competitors, sometimes higher, sometimes lower.

Me? (I now work for an application company).
    I like spraying Awlgrip but the new Perfection brushes very good.

5. LQT420

LQT420 Junior Member

Thanks for your replies. I plan on spraying with a 4 stage hvlp turbine system outside. I'm just restoring an old sunfish hull that I want to get into racing condition. I've already begun fairing the hull and making repairs with epoxy and I'm gathering as much information as I can about the 2 part LPU paints before I go ahead and shoot. Thanks again for you wisdom.

6. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

I think you will have application problems with that gun.

7. LQT420

LQT420 Junior Member

Trying to learn as much as I can... Can you explain why?

8. phildan

phildan Phildan boat restoration

Interlux Perfection

Thanks Mastcolin..very interesting.
    I am painting boats on water. there is my experience
    Sterling is very ( too much ) sensitive to any moisture variation.
    I did work whith Awlgrip 1 ... went to Awlgrip 2 ... and back now to 1 .
    do not be afraid to add good amount of accelerator .
    & small surface flat can be restored after curing by fine ( 3 M ) polishing .
    Thanks
    Phildan

9. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

That hvlp gun does not atomize well. Awlgrip is very sensitive to moisture. Make sure the boat is well dried out. I would try to rent or borrow a good quality paint gun. Polyurethane paints are very sensitive to atomization. They will either run or not lay out. Try to get a hvlp with a 1.5 tip and spray at 50psi at the tip. That means if you are using a 50 ft hose the connection at the beginning of the hose would be 65-70 psi with a 3/8 fitting. The best fittings are HVLP fitting. They are larger an have less of a drop in pressure. Air needs to be filtered for oil and moisture. Fisheyes are a bad thing to try to fix.
    Good luck
    Jim

10. LQT420

LQT420 Junior Member

Thanks Jimslade,

I don't know if this makes a difference but the system is a Capspray 9100 4-stage unit with a Maxum II gun which I've heard atomizes very well. Am I mistaken? Again, I appreciate your wisdom.

Regards,

- Leon

11. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

Sorry I've never heard of that unit. I've been spraying for thirty years. I only know of the quality guns, ie Binks Sata Devibis and many others. All cheap guns will give you nothing but problems. Does your gun come with its own air supply unit?

12. LQT420

LQT420 Junior Member

13. LQT420

LQT420 Junior Member