DIY Dinghy with Laser 4.7 sails

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jagercek, Mar 6, 2021.

1. jagercek

jagercek Junior Member

Hi, has anyone built a dinghy or has plans for building a dinghy that could use laser 4.7 sails? It could be a smaller trimaran too.

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Welcome to the Forum Jager.

I had to look up some details on the Laser 4.7 - her sail area is 6.97 sq m (75 sq ft) which is smaller than a Laser Radial, but still on the standard Laser hull.
    https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/laser-47
    Laser 4.7.jpg

What type of dinghy are you thinking about, re adapting a Laser 4.7 rig to it?
    Would it be a performance type of dinghy, or maybe a tender for a yacht that you want to put this sailing rig on, because you have it?

Re a small trimaran, have you seen the range designed by Richard Woods?
    Sailing Catamarans - First Choose a Design http://sailingcatamarans.com/index.php/designs-2/27-trimarans-under-25

3. Reuby

Reuby New Member

4. jagercek

jagercek Junior Member

Does anyone know if it would be possible to modify a canoe to work with laser sails?

5. mc_rash

mc_rash Senior Member

Would be possible for sure, but I think you should place enough ballast far enough onder the canoe or use outriggers (not to small) for stabilisation. Otherwise you'll get wet very fast. Maybe you should try a rig from an optimist?

Edit: that's my opinion, I've never tried yet but I've sometimes thought about putting sails on my ~4,5 m canoe.
    I would appreciate if you try it and let me know if it works and how it's behavier will be!

6. tlouth7

tlouth7 Senior Member

Laser rigs, even the 4.7, are pretty heavy. A Topper rig would be slightly bigger and a fair bit lighter.

Either of these rigs would drop into any appropriately sized mast step.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.