Scarfing a stringer already on frame

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by mariobrothers88, Apr 11, 2021.

1. mariobrothers88

mariobrothers88 Senior Member

Hey guys I made an error on a stringer that I already glued to the bulkheads. I want to cut out the section and scarf a new piece of wood to it. They are 1"x2" stringers. Any tips to cut the scarf while it's already on the frame? Ive been scarfing with a table saw but I won't be able to use that since its already glued to the bulkheads. I was thinking of using either a jigsaw or multitool to cut out the scarf but it will be tough on such a small stringer. Any tips or ideas to make it easier? Thanks in advance for any tips!!

2. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

Handtools are your friends, saw and plane/sand. Cut a scarf in a similar size piece of wood, clamp to the stringer and use it as a guide for a small handsaw. Adjust with a plane and/or some sandpaper, but if you are careful while cutting it should not be necessary.

DogCavalry and Will Gilmore like this.
  3. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

You can, depending on the room you have around your frames, clamp the new section beside the in-place stringer. Cut scarf guide blocks on the table saw and clamp to the stringer. Use a hand plane to finish the joint. Sanding, unless you're really careful, will round the corners slightly and not give a good marriage.
    20210414_053217.jpg

Rumars likes this.
  4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

5. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I am a big fan of the oscillating tool, but you'll need to draw lines all across on all sides. Epoxy and filler will do the rest.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.