Idlewild

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by dick stave, Mar 19, 2007.

1. dick stave

dick stave Senior Member

2. alaskatrawler

alaskatrawler Previous Member

It is now for sale in passgaemaker magazine. it was built in Canada and has gone completly around the world. It is a diesel duck by designer George Beuhler. Quite an adventure.

Dan

3. dick stave

dick stave Senior Member

The build pictures are a good example of plating over frames method.This kind of answers my question about the Mark v 28 in my other thread "converting...",although im not convinced you could get the hull plates
    down tight without some dog and wedge technique. Is this how you built your
    trawler?As you know any gaps are a bad deal with aluminum...

4. alaskatrawler

alaskatrawler Previous Member

Hello Dick

My trawler is made of steel both the house and hull. I am building the mast now out of aluminum 5052. The hull is 1/4" steel and the house is 3/16. I used 3/8 X 5X6 angle for the frames. I am aware of a tight fit for aluminum. I do get a gap every now and then although small I can usually make a couple passes and that takes care of it. The mast I am building will be 12 feet HOL and have a crows nest. The aluminum is all 1/4" so 3/64 wire works very nice. Love that 350 XMT.

Dan

5. dick stave

dick stave Senior Member

6. CaptScot

CaptScot Junior Member

How about a Trawler (Troller Yacht) with sail, a Diesel Duck 38? They are very economical to run and sail with many used for bluewater cruising world wide. All are amateur built and the least costliest way to get out there for the average guy.

A complete set of professional plans 17 sheets (24" x 36") for a low maintenance fiberglass/wood/epoxy Diesel duck 38 by reknown yacht designer George Buehler. Included on rolls are lofted to full-size most hull station molds.

As much as I planned and looked forward to beginning this interesting, fun as easily do-able project for a long time, at present building a Diesel Duck of my own is not in the cards. Therefore, I am offering for sale for some lucky person these plans for a bargin price and fraction of the original price of $500, plus postage or make offer. The DD38 plans originally sell for $2,295, see links to Buehler website below.

Also included are two books: Buehler's Backyard Boatbuilder, Boatbuilding by Chapelle. The Diesel Duck is George Buehler's most popular design with dozens of these sturdy homebuilt ocean going boats sailing the world; see links. Buehler's practical design permits an amateur to build a sturdy boat from scratch with ordinary materials, ordinary tools, custom built to your needs and taste, all for a fraction of the price of a new boat. They are also economical to run.

There is a member group of several Diesel Duck homebuilders sharing info and photos at Yahoogroup's BackyardBoatbuilders2". Buehler's book "The Troller Yacht" would also be a good book to have for building this boat which describes these type of trawler yachts.

Easy to build, lots of room for liveaboard cruising, and furnished to what ever your imagination can dream up. The oceans of the world will be your oyster, not just reserved for the mega-buck yachts. My email scottcatherine@yahoo.com

http://dieselducks.com/Jerrys 38Duck-2.html

http://dieselducks.com/Duck38study.html

http://dieselducks.com/stock plans.html

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.