Dix 43; getting there...

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Wynand N, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Many are aware that I am building my good friend, StrandedMariner's boat as I posted the early stages of construction under the heading: StrandedMariner's Tub.

This is just an update to show that things are still going well with the project and the hull and deck are now completed. All the tanks are in place, engine fitted, hatches cut and framed to receive hatches etc. A nice touch by StrandedMariner was the fitment of some beefy stainless steel inserts (heated / press fitted) into the chainplates.
    We also added proper bulwarks to the deck opposed to the round bar on plate as per plan.

The hull is now shotblasted and epoxy primer coated on the outside and she looks cool.
    I have to make note that the hull is totally untouched by fairing compound at this stage and when the interior and deck are blasted and prime coated, a little epoxy fairing will go on little dings and joints where needed, although that would be at a minimum. The hull is extremely fair at this stage:cool:

Monday we start blasting the inside of hull and I will place some photos thereof as work progresses.
    If anyone is interested of some interior shots of framing, floors, tanks, rudder or chainplate details, I would happily place photos covering that.

Only on problem, I wish she was mine:D

Attached Files:

2. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Wynand

as always i can just go wow
    realy good stuff

keep up the good work, i am sure that when Stranded was here he must have cried a tear or three when he was in the pic next to the rudder

only one teeny weeny problem
    he doesnt have a beer in his hand

so now i am having a beer
    cheers to both of ya

3. yipster

yipster designer

thanks for posting Wynand, sure looks and sound good and offcourse we like to see foto's of the inside details

4. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

I like the skeg in front of the rudder ,to protect it ,,looks really neato

5. Wynand N

here are a few more photos.
    Engine bed with diesel and water tank forward of it. Another of the engine and the sterntube fitted -tube will be cut back from gearbox when the coupling and shaft seal arrives.
    The rudder tube with rudder shaft fitted - the gland packing press ring not fitted and the rudder shaft goes all the way up to just below the deck where an emergency tiller can be fitted. BTW, all bushes and cutlass bearings are made of Marine grade Vesconite and very expensive.

The stainless steel inserts that was heat shrink /press fitted into the steel chainplates.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  6. Wynand N

Andreas actually developed a taste for Castle Lager :cool:
    Infact Manie, he also tasted the traditional native "shake shake" sorghum beer when we had a BBQ at the workshop:D :D Better ask him if he loved it :eek:

7. StrandedMariner

StrandedMariner Steelboatsailor

Thanks mate, and I can assure you we were not short on beers, and good South African wines. I tried the 'shake shake', but I must admit it is a bit rough. Like fermented mice and tofu. Guess I will stick to the Castle then.

8. StrandedMariner

StrandedMariner Steelboatsailor

Actually the Dix43 comes with two design options for the rudder. The skeg mounted like I chose, and a spade rudder. Somehow I never liked spade rudders. Too vulnerable. Also with a spade rudder we would never have been able to use a Vesconite bush for the rudder. Spade rudders of that size tend to bend, and require self adjusting bearings in most cases.

9. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Hey Wynand what's up bro:?:

where's the pics:idea:

you gotta keep the flag flying:D

you can come and sleep on my boat when we wave goodbye to Waratah - looks like i could also be finished in time for your launch he he he:D :D :D

10. Wynand N

we started to fit her out - bulkheads going in, shiny stuff will follow in hot pursuit. The fairing, all the preparations etc before fitting out started took about 6 weeks to finish to my standards. Not a welding machine or cutting torch come near her now...

Will post some photos in a weeks time.

11. jmurf

jmurf Junior Member

Doubler plates?

Hey Wynand
    I allways put a doubler plate over anything thruhull ie:Bow thruster,Rudder post....Plus all hard points that would poke a hole.
    You dont use doublers.??
    any reason. Curious

12. Wynand N

Im curious what you are trying to prove:?:
    Ive been a qualified boilermaker for 32 years and the doublers you refer to is more commonly called boiler patches in my country. And these are mainly used on intersections on pressure vessel, pipes or where there are high loads are imposed upon such as certain laterals, T pieces etc.

OK, here are my reasons.

1. As a professional I build a boat as per plan, period. That save you a lot of **** in future unless a change is for the better and the designer and client agreed to such a change.

2. The loads on a rudder post for instance, are much better dispersed or spread over a larger area by the use of vertically place gussets rather than a doubler plate.

3. As for through hull fittings: not a chance I would fit a doubler there:eek: Simply because through hull fittings needs to go tightly through a hole and it is not practical/easy/possible to weld the joint between the plates closed and still have a decent fit of the fitting. Secondly, should you have a doubler in place and a drop or two water finds its way past the thru hull fitting and obviously then into between the plates, you will have mayor problems coming your way. Did you know that material can "generate" a rust layer about 20 time plus the material thickness?

4. Lastly,all through hull fittings I use on my hulls are made of plastic/nylon etc to prevent electrolytes. These fittings would fail/break long before the steel hull would -so why double up?

13. jmurf

jmurf Junior Member

Hey Wynand
    I am not triing to prove anything.
    I am not attacking you, it was just a frikin question.
    Appreciate your reply. Thanks

14. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Welding on my boat would just cause lots of smoke:D

15. Wynand N

Sorry Jmurf, I had a bad day. We are cool:cool:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.