Dive/Fish jon boat?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by spearaddict, Feb 21, 2010.

1. spearaddict

spearaddict New Member

Hey, I am going to start building a wooden boat in the next few weeks and was wondering as to what would be better suited for diving and fishing- flat bottom or Vee? i know the Vee is better for choppy water and its a bit more stable, but I am here in Tampa Bay and the depth is usually between .5-3 feet deep, but there are channels that are around 35 ft. deep and get very choppy. I am also a college student, so I am going to be doing this on a very tight budget using probably plywood from home depot, what type of paint could i put on it that might help the plywood hold up and also maybe protect a bit during beaching. thanks in advance

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Here is what I would go with... Level floating it would draft 4" at about 410 lbs all up. The other pic is about what it would look like at full plane. You would need around 10 hp for it to do that.
    11.5 ft long
    51" beam (43.5" at the waterline)
    sides are 13.5" high from chine, 11.5" from waterline (so you can get over the side from the water), depth overall...15.35"

As you can see...there is a transom bow for more buoyancy forward, with a deep forefoot to split the chop but shallowing to a very mild vee aft for little draft. This could be had out of 1/4" ply for the bottom (to accommodate the forefoot bend) with a doubling layer laminated on the inside aft of the fiercest part of the warp to provide stiffness for planning without oil canning and for rigidity when walking on. You would want to put a buoyancy compartment in the bow, under a mid seat but mostly at the back to support the motor and skipper. About 9 cu.ft. would be sufficient. Sides would be 1/4" or even 3/8" if you don't care too much about weight and want some toughness.

Steve

Attached Files:

3. spearaddict

spearaddict New Member

Thanks! that boat design looks awesome! i have an old 1970's era 25 hp johnson, would that be overkill for the design?

4. lewisboats

Only if you used full throttle ;). Actually it might be a bit heavy...dragging the back of the boat deeper at rest. It really would be too powerful for a 12 ft hull but then again...back in the day... folks put a lot more power on the transom than what is considered safe today.

I did a bit of fiddling and managed to get the transom to be flat and the bottom to warp forward...and still gettable from plywood. If you went with the bigger motor I would widen the boat bottom to 4 ft though...to give more displacement and bearing for the motor. Doing that with this particular hull yields a displacement of 505 lbs with a draft of 4" at level flotation...which you wouldn't get with that big motor hanging off the back...so about 5+" with the motor. That doesn't count the fact that the motor will extend about 7-8" Below the bottom of the transom. You aren't gonna see 6" of water with the motor down...no matter how you shake it. I would expect a bit more flexing of the bottom with this bottom shape...it doesn't have the longitudinal support of the center vee section in the after parts. A couple of solid rub strakes/stringers on the bottom would fix that.

Attached Files:

5. spearaddict

spearaddict New Member

Your awesome! i think i'll try to get that flat to vee bottom. it will take a couple weeks, so i can keep an eye out for a ~10 hp motor, they're a ton around here.

6. lewisboats

I was a bit off on the calcs...for a 4' wide bottom you get 530 lbs displacement and a beam at shear of 4'10" not including rub strips...so about 5 ft wide or so.

7. lewisboats

You know...I kinda miss PAR poking holes in my hulls...:(

8. lewisboats

Check your email

9. spearaddict

spearaddict New Member

k. will do

10. not to be a bad first post but would it not be nice to share your design of your with all on this forum so someone else(like me) could have a shot at making a small fishing boat. i prefer the one with a v bottom more, would be appreciated if you could share that design.

/regards

11. Wolfgang123

Wolfgang123 Junior Member

x2 .

12. lewisboats

I'm not sure if that would be within the "rules" or not. I don't have a problem with it...mainly because I wouldn't be asking for anything but I don't know how out of bounds it is as far as the "self promotion" thing goes. I like to express my opinions via pictures as much as typing...it gets exactly what I am thinking across the way I want it. Usually if someone becomes more interested in an idea it goes off forum for further discussion.

Steve

13. here u go wolfgang

here i made this small 3.5m low angle bottom hope u can use it
    attaching a pic with measurements and freeship+ file so u can play with
    and adjust some measurements

/mike

p.s. think i fixed attachements. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2010
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.