Herreshoff 28 Restoration

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jdodsonpa, Sep 18, 2006.

1. jdodsonpa

jdodsonpa Junior Member

I am looking for some information about the Herreshoff 28 Ketch. I am considering buying one that is in definite need of restoration. Since I am not an old hand with lots of experience, it would be helpful to know if there are any readers who have experience. It is quite a project to consider without some idea of the plans and specs on the boat.

The boat is supposedly built in the late 60's. It has a Yanmar Diesel. The engine has been dis-assembled in place. The wiring harness is detached. A lot of the wood work needs restoration. The cockpit needs rebuilding. I know it sounds like a lost cause. And there is no doubt the project is not just one weekends worth of effort. But I believe the boat is a sound vessel and worthy of a better life.

If you can point me to some resources on line or other threads, I would appreciate it.

By the way, I have sold my IONA 23'

Thanks

Jeff

2. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

I think you would do well to go to the Woodenboat forum.A very useful resource if you keep out of the political issues that occasionally surface.

3. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

Hereshoff's SENSIBLE CRUISING DESIGNS has a section which I believe contains all the information that was included in the original articles in the RUDDER magazine series.

4. jdodsonpa

jdodsonpa Junior Member

Thanks to "Wet Feet" and "Gilbert" for responding to my thread. Pardon the "tenderfoot" question, but where would I find the woodenboat forum and is the Herreshoff SENSIBLE CRUISING DESIGNS a book, magazine, website?

I will try to find these on my own, but would appreciate some more direction if possible.

I will continue to post on this thread to keep it current. Thanks again.

5. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

SENSIBLE CRUISING DESIGNS is a book. Snoop around, maybe eBay or Amazon or????

6. jdodsonpa

jdodsonpa Junior Member

Wow. Thanks for the quick reply.

Would you like to see some pictures of this "project"?

7. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

Why not? Visual aids are always welcome here. And the H28 is a very pretty boat.

8. jdodsonpa

jdodsonpa Junior Member

I posted on my page. Not sure how you view it. But I would be happy to email you some if you want.

9. jdodsonpa

jdodsonpa Junior Member

I posted some pictures of my former sloop IONA 23' and the latest interest, the Herreshoff 28 on this page:<br>
    <a href="http://community.webshots.com/user/chimneyrocks?action=favoritePhotos">
    http://community.webshots.com/user/chimneyrocks?action=favoritePhotos
    </a>
    <br>
    on Webshots. Check it out. On the home page, choose the pull down menu "my shots" and then choose "album". The "boat" one has the pictures on the second page. BTW, DreamWeaver was a boat I almost bought two years ago.

10. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

Why not post them here by attaching them to your next post. You never know who might spot them and have a helpful suggestion for you. It is best if they are not really large. Really large pictures make it so text and everything has a wider page which requires scrolling back and forth making it tedious to read. I'll be looking for them. Thanks.

11. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

I see you have a link. That should do it, Thanks.

12. an2reir

an2reir fifty boat designs

restoration

We just completed a total re-build and restauration of 1963 Camper&nicholsons Rocquette.
    First thing you may be willing to undertake: get boat out of water and thoroughly surveyed.

1 person likes this.
  13. jdodsonpa

jdodsonpa Junior Member

I hear you about getting the boat out of the water. Oh, if I only had a backyard..... But, alas, I live in a townhouse. I have been checking Craig'sList for a trailer that would hold a boat with a deep keel. If you know of any for sale in the LA area, let me know.

Otherwise, hauling the boat out to have it surveyed would cost about $800. I'm not sure if I can do that. But better safe than sorry.

14. an2reir

an2reir fifty boat designs

you may build a wooden cradle for the boat.are you planning to do the restoration yourself?
    a survey has to be carried out by a pro , to allow an estimate of work&money boat needs.
    by the way she's looking chances are lower area framing and planking needs replacing.
    send me pics of inside and outside hull out of water and i'll eventually help.

here's the restoration we just completed
    http://www.yacht.ro/frame.php?lang=en&linc=race

15. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You should have the boat surveyed before you do anything else. The current owner may be helpful in this, but often times, knows what they aren't telling you and are just what the problem to go away.

The boat will need to be on the hard and the yard can put her in the slings for the survey. Find a well respected wooden boat surveyor in your area and check with the yard and insurance companies to get a feel on his reputation.

It's much like buying a "fix it upper" house. Unless you have a great deal of experience looking at worn out houses, you need a pro to come in and make an evaluation, so you can make an educated decision. Yes, it will cost you money, but a lot less then buying wreck that you wish you had performed a survey on before purchasing.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.